What To Look For?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jmt1991

I'm supposed to go look at a 90% complete(according to the owner) Preceptor N3 Pup this weekend, that was bought as a kit, assembled and covered by its first owner, and elderly gentleman. The current owner is the second owner, the aircraft has never been flown and he doesn't have the time to complete the assembly. The engine is a 1/2 VW built from Scott Casler parts. I would definitely send it to Scott to have him go through it before I flew behind it. I'm going to look at the general workmanship, control cables, engine mounting, etc. The original asking price was $7500, but I was thinking(depending on the condition), more around $6000-$6500. I know that I would have to go through everything, and rig the aircraft, and was also going to contact my local EAA chapter for assistance. Since there are many here who have much more experience than myself, I was wondering what hints, tips, etc. you could provide me with. I'm pretty familiar with the N3 Pu, but any assistance is always welcome. Thanks.

Marty

kent Ashton

Google "buying experimental airplane project" If you don't get suitable builder's logs, you'll have a very hard time getting it licensed. Good photos might do but you'll need to demonstrate it was built by an amateur or amateurs for their education and recreation.

1Bad88

90% done means 90% to go, I think that your $6,000 is high as the market is pretty much garbage for single seat EAB unfinished projects. Figure out material costs and start negotiating from there.

Brian Clayton

For a unfinished pup, I would say its a bit high. Flying examples are usually listed for that price and less. Without knowing anything thing else about it, I would have to look at two things. The first being that it is close to me where I would not spend another 1500 to pick it up. The second is that the workmanship would have to be second to none. Homebuilt projects are usually only worth what the engine and avionics are worth used. The pups are pretty popular and to me this drives the price a little higher than normal.

jmt1991

Brian, thanks for the input. It's only about 200 mile from my house, so I won't have to go too far. The engine is supposed to only have some run-in time on it, but I'll check it over thoroughly. From the information I have gathered, the wings need to be mounted and the aircraft needs to be rigged. The quality of the construction and the covering will really determine what my final offer will be. It looks very nice from the photos, but I won't know for sure until I see it in person. I'll take my construction manual and drawings with me for reference when I check it out.