• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What to build.... the eternal question :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrollf

So I'm considering building one of the four below (I know, they aren't 100 % Apples to Apples)... I'm a private pilot, but would have to get a tail-wheel endorsement.

Mission: Pleasure flying with some back country (nothing crazy), grass/dirt strips, etc. Like to do some airplane camping.

Bearhawk Patrol
Pros:
  • Most capable plane of the four, great payload, designed to Utility Category standards.
  • Large builder base with lots of support (my impression)
  • Able to buy sub-assembly and quick build kits to speed up build (but spendy)
Cons:
  • Likely the most expensive option
  • Likely the longest build time as I won't buy the full quick build kits (eg wings/fuselage), but might buy some sub-assemblies (my impression)
  • Seems to be the most "complex" one to build out of these four choices.
  • Larger / more expensive engine requirement.
Christavia Mk I
Pros:
  • Simplest to build from scratch (my impression)
  • Lowest budget if purely scratch building (my impression)
  • Aircraft Spruce offers pre-bundled material kits
  • Smallest / cheapest engine requirement.
Cons:
  • Would like a more payload
  • Very small builder base, only a few built, so getting knowledgeable help/advice might be hard.
  • No pre-built sub-assemblies to be bought anywhere if I want to speed up the build process.

Wag-Aero Wag-A-Bond Traveler
Pros:
  • Quite a few have been built
  • Based on production Piper Aircraft
  • Large base of not only builders, but people whom own similar Pipers that I could get help/information from.
  • Wag-Aero offers many sub-assemblies in pre-built / quick built configurations.
  • Lots of interchangeable parts / assemblies with production Pipers
  • Could use "salvaged" assemblies from production aircraft to decrease build time without costing as much as new sub-assemblies from Wag-Aero.
  • Even though it is a homebuilt, A&Ps would be more familiar with the design which could help if I ever need repairs / maintenance away from home.
  • CFIs would be most familiar with this option, which would be great whenever I want refresher or additional training in the future.
Cons:
  • Would like more payload (about the same as the Christavia Mk 1)
  • Spouse is heavy set (don't know how to say it nice), so side by side seating may not be comfortable on cross country flights.
    • However, with her arthritis, not sure if she would fly with me very often anyways.

Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2
Pros:
  • Same Pros as Wag-A-Bond Traveler except engine plus:
    • Could build as tandem 2 seat giving both myself and wife a lot of room.
    • Better payload similar to the Bearhawk Patrol
Cons:
  • Largest / most expensive engine requirements (little more HP than Bearhawk)
    • To be fair, HP requirements overlap with the Bearhawk Patrol, so likely a wash when comparing the two.

My brain says build the Wag-A-Bond Traveler as it has a large community of builders and fliers, with the bonus of being able to scavenge/salvage parts for "cheap" from aircraft salvage yards and is going to be cheaper than the Sportsman mainly due to the smaller engine requirements. My heart wants the Bearhawk because its the most capable of the four and I'm impressed by Barrow's designs, seems like anyone that has flown one is very impressed. However I think it would be the longest build time and most expensive options of the four I listed. I'm not retired, I work full time, so total build time does play into decision. I would like to fly it someday.😁

I "think" I want the option of floats someday... which would lean more towards the Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2 or the Bearhawk Patrol.

Thoughts / opinions?

Last edited:
Back