HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mac790

Jan,

It was something else, the exact name for it was Rfoil
I found some info about it
thomas-xyz said:
Rfoil is a imroved Xfoil made at Delft.

The improved Cl_max and stall predictions from Rfoil could really improve XFLR5.
here is a link to forum, at the bottom of this page, there is a link but I can't find that software there SourceForge.net: Topic: QFLR5 vs XFLR5 vs Wind Tunnel

Edit
A free version of Rfoil is available at ECN Energietechnologie. One have to ask for it just
It seems that you should ask them about a free copy.

Seb

Jan Carlsson

Thank you Seb.

I got this from Evolution Design a year ago, but it will still be interesting to play with there free software.

We offer the “VLA” work package as described in the previous mail at the following pricing:

1 Wing Section, 10 working day, 5200 €
2 Wing Sections, 20 Working days, 9750 €

The Customer is expected to provide aircraft geometric, mass and performance data.

Mac790

There is also something much more interesting, but it will take some time to figure out how it works. It's called OpenFoam OpenFOAM® - The Open Source Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Toolbox
Here is a windows version, I just downloaded it and installed it requaire 1.3GB,
OpenFOAM for MS windows binary release | Get OpenFOAM for MS windows binary release at SourceForge.net

Here is comparison Fluent vs OpenFoam
OpenFOAM Airflow over a car

This might be also interesting software for meshing Gmsh: a three-dimensional finite element mesh generator with built-in pre- and post-processing facilities

Check out attachments.

Seems that there are some interesting software available, of course the key question is are they accurate. It would interesting to compare results.

Seb

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector

I want to try my hands out on Inventor for 3D work. Any suggestions on where I should go to acquire one?

ScaleBirdsScott

If anyone needs some inspiration for their solid modelling game, either Solidworks or Inventor, here's a Cri Cri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUo0WwClwBM&ab_channel=osvaldodejesus

and if you have the CAD and wanna poke around:

https://grabcad.com/library/cri-cri-complete-1

This is a really cool project. I have no idea how accurate he made it in terms of airfoil geometry or sizing of things, but for the level of detail you have to presume he had some kind of plans to start from.

Either way, hope to see more stuff like this out there.

Reactions: TFF

cblink.007

Any recommendations as far as a CAD type application for development?

My experience with CAD is absolutely 0 hours.

I have some ideas I'd like to see in a 3d format.
I'm a long-time AutoCAD user, in the process of transitioning to SolidWorks. If you're an EAA member, you can get a 'student' version for free, and you can do some pretty decent work with it. I've heard of TurboCAD as a more affordable system...I do not know if it does any 3D. If you do use TurboCAD, make sure you can save files in a .dwg format---that way you can transition the work to AutoCAD or SolidWorks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugsy

Try onshape! www.onshape.com you can pretty much start straight away with no software install. t has a free version and there is heaps of free training material on the net too. I've used catia and solid works professionally and although it lacks some of the bells and whistles i find it works great!

PTAirco

A 15 year old version of TurboCad. It will do 3D, but I never used it for that. I detest the learning curve associated with new software and for 2D drawings, even the simplest CAD does more than I'll ever need. Not saying 3D is overrated, but...it's overrated. More building, less drawing.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
A 15 year old version of TurboCad..
How is it working with Windows 8 or 10? I've got #14 and it works alright but keeps giving a warning every time I open or save a file. Annoying but I can live with it since the files seem to be completely usable. I do use SW but find for simple 2D TC is much faster so I still use it often.