What software do you use?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Zzyzxx71, Jan 7, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 7, 2010 #181

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Hey Mitja;

How did you make the short video of your Gnome rotating? Does Rhino have an anitmation feature?

That looks great.

Tom.

2. Feb 7, 2010 #182

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

And while we're into software, has anyone tried the Cadre software for analyzing trusses? I've downloaded the demo, and received a demo fuselage-type structure from the sales guy, but haven't really gotten into it yet.

Apparently you can do a 3d wireframe model in some software, export/import as a DXF, then apply loads, material properties and then hit the go button to give you the loads in each frame member. But I haven't gotten this far yet.

Just curious if anyone uses it and finds it to be good.

Tom.

3. Feb 7, 2010 #183

orion

orion

orion

I believe that Cadre was originally written specifically for truss type assemblies and from what I've heard from others, it is very good. Considering its relatively reasonable price, it's a pretty good deal.

4. Feb 8, 2010 #184

Pat Brett

Pat Brett

Pat Brett

I have been using CADRE Pro for a welded steel fuselage. It does do a good job with trusses, but I use Excell to create the data file and only used Cadre for getting the results. Attached is a view after a run.

Pat

Attached Files:

5. Feb 8, 2010 #185

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Hi Pat;

The Cadre sales guy, Jim Haynes, said that you could do a wireframe 3D model, then import it as a DXF to Cadre. Have you ever tried that? If you only use Excel, how do you generate the drawing of your airframe?

Thanks, Tom.

6. Feb 8, 2010 #186

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

Render--> Animation--> Setup animation.
    Choose turntable, set number of steps, name of the rendering, what type of file (jpg) and directory to save all those jpgs. Then create renredings..it is automated job and it is explained in help menu.

Then convert all those rendered slides aone after another to create a "movie". You need about 25-30 slides, to get a video 1 sec long.

I made about 144 slides for one full rotation.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #187

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Mitja;

It sounds like a lot of time-consuming work to create one second of video, but I gotta try it !

Thanks, Tom.

8. Feb 9, 2010 #188

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

Once you input the settings, Rhino automatically do the rotation of object, render the scene and save the jpg, and so on till all scenes are done. Just do the typing and go to sleep :)..all rest is done by rhino.

9. Feb 9, 2010 #189

Pat Brett

Pat Brett

Pat Brett

Hi Tom,

I generate the drawing in a CAD program (KeyCreator) and export a DXF. I then import it into Cadre, this works great. You then have to assign properties to the members, and bounds and loads to the nodes and you are ready to go!

I use EXCEll because it is easier when there are lots of different members and load conditions.

Pat

10. Feb 9, 2010 #190

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Tom Kay

Pat;

Great so far. Just curious if you have the Excel software configured to collect the data from the load application run. I mean, is Cadre also configured to export data into the Excel?

I can see (having modeled a fuselage) that there would be a mass confusion of tubes going every direction. I assume that you'd name each separate tube segment, say A-B, and B-C, etc. And that would even mean that a single longeron would be broken up into segments based on where the clusters are formed.

Thanks again. I haven't tried Cadre, other than importing the sample file that I was given by the sales guy, and then hitting the "Solve" button. It is neat to see what happens when the load is applied.

Tom.

11. Feb 9, 2010 #191

Pat Brett

Pat Brett

Pat Brett

Tom,

I use the "Axial loads" from the results menu, then "Select all" and "Copy", then paste it into Excell, all the numbers go into individual cells. The members can be sized and the stresses determined. Cadre also provides the length of each member so compression members can be checked for column buckling stability.

Pat

12. Feb 24, 2010 #192

RicardoFreire

RicardoFreire

RicardoFreire

Hi, I'm new here and I'm starting in the airplane building.
    I will participate in competition here in Brazil...I'm trying to know how to use Autocad 2010, so could anyone send me a basic project in Autocad 2010 of a wood airplane.

13. Feb 24, 2010 #193

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you'll find too many people doing aircraft design in Autocad... it's not really well suited to this kind of work.

-Dana

"You sure it's broken? Let me make sure..."

14. Feb 24, 2010 #194

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

YouTube - autocad

Mitja

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  15. Mar 5, 2010 #195

Fluffy

Fluffy

Fluffy

I've used both ProEngineer and Solidworks, and there's no competition. Maybe because I'd learned ProEngineer first, but Solidworks was excellent. The GUI was considerably more intuitive than ProE, Solidworks let me do what I wanted to do without giving me a billion caution and warning messages, and included really nice tutorials. The only thing I can complain about is the intent manager, as it's called, which guesses what you're trying to do. Some times it's right, other times it's putting constraints and relations on things I didn't want it to do. It took me a day to learn Solidworks on my own using the tutorials, and a bit longer to really get the hang of it. By comparison, ProE had almost a flat learning curve. Despite having a textbook on how to use it, I spent way more time trying to find buttons or trying to find what ProE was complaining about. In short, it's as if with Solidworks you're designing, and with ProE you're using CAD software. ProE is definitely a bit more advanced than Solidworks and I've heard it's better for large assemblies. But, unless your homebuilding something that could be certified as a 525 type aircraft, I'd think that Solidworks is more than sufficient. However, it's not free and I'm only using it as I got a free copy from my university. I think it's a bit pricy, but then again if you're building an actual aircraft a $200 on software isn't going to be a bad idea. I've built what I designed in Solidworks before, and it worked perfectly (...almost, I missed a little detail but it wasn't that important :) )

Another option is as mentioned AutoCAD Inventor. I just started playing with it, and it's not too bad. Not quite as easy to use as a Solidworks, but it's better than ProE. There's a free academic version availiable online, so as long as your a "student" you'll get a freebie copy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. Mar 6, 2010 #196

lr27

lr27

lr27

Fluffy: I think you forgot one of the zeros on the price for Solidworks. Either that or I'm about to rush out and get a copy.

17. Mar 6, 2010 #197

Fluffy

Fluffy

Fluffy

Yeah, I should have verified that's for a student edition. Otherwise you're out about $3,000.

Of course, you could just find a torrent... :ponder:

clanon likes this.
  18. Mar 7, 2010 #198

skier

skier

skier

I have used Unigraphics NX, Solidworks, ProE, and Catia. By far my favorite is Catia and I've heard similar things from other people who have used Catia.

19. May 16, 2010 #199

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

Aerologic, Does anyone heard about it? Here is an example of it (and other softwares as well) SG-1 Sailplane - Aerodynamics

Here is a direct webpage to software producer AeroLogic

Here is a direct link to the demo version AeroLogic - Download and manual http://www.aerologic.com/Download/dwtdoc.pdf I haven't check it out yet, since still I have access to the mainstream softwares, but i would say with price around 3000$ it's an accessible software, compared to prices for example of Ansys Icem, etc.

I've heard also about Rfoil, (but I wasn't able to track it down), it's an improved version of Xfoil, developted by some Dutch Uni's, I've heard it's availabe for free, but like I said I wasn't able to track it down, Auto have you heard about it?

those simulations were done with Aerologic software, they did also Mini Imp.

Seb

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.gif
      3.gif
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views: