• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What sized battery cable did you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Hey all,

I am interested to hear what sized battery cable you are using?

I am installing a Skytech Lightweight starter motor, which is of course the largest instantaneous demand on the battery cable. I emailed Skytech, and seemingly got a reply from the "GM" there (which was surprising) who told me to use 0AWG or at least 2AWG for the starter to battery connection. My battery is back under the seat for balance, so the cables are more than just a couple of feet long. Expected draw for cranking is between 180-280A (instantaneous, obviously, only for a few seconds). My battery is an Aerovoltz Lithium Iron Phosphate model, 410CCA & 12V.

I know many aircraft are using 4AWG which is what I'd planned on using, and going to look at the size 2 and 0 cables, they are more like overhead powerlines than battery cables, and would probably handle >100A continuously..... is the man at Skytech simply being conservative?

Back