What scale and composition of your favorite Warbird would you purchase?

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by J Galt, Nov 30, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

?

What scale and composition of your favorite warbird would you purchase?

1. 100% in metal as original

35.3%
  2. 100% in composite

5.9%
  3. 90% in metal

23.5%
  4. 90% in composite

35.3%
  1. Dec 7, 2019 #61

WARPilot

WARPilot

WARPilot

I think the best size is in the 60-65% scale range. This allows for lower cost, lower power engines, and performance in the 150-200 mph range. Using composites cuts the weight drastically allowing for greater useful load. Using a WAR type as an example, they typically weigh 750#-800# empty. They are supposed to weigh about 620#. Using composites it should be possible to get to the 550#-600#empty weight. This will lower stall speed and enhance performance. Construction would have to use pre-molded carbon granite skins over a substructure or skins that are designed to carry the loads.
    The picture is a fuselage that is made from a mold and structurally very strong. Once the mold is made it is relatively simple to make copies.

Attached Files:

J Galt likes this.
  2. Dec 8, 2019 #62

Saville

Saville

Saville

What is an SBC?

3. Dec 8, 2019 #63

Aviacs

Aviacs

Aviacs

Small Block Chevy.
    The block and heads were cast to replicate the dimensions of a SBC, only longer. So with a crank and cam to match, the rest is parts that have been around for decades; mix 'n match (more or less) from a wide array of stock and aftermarket suppliers of pistons, rods, bearings, valve & valve gear, etc. etc.

4. Dec 10, 2019 #64

Erik Snyman

Erik Snyman

Erik Snyman

A very interesting thread, thanks to all the people that participate.
    I have noticed (also) that the replica world seriously lacks copies of Japanese planes. Looking at them, they seem to be not too complicated to build, already in the required size so scaling seems not necessary. No extreme compound curves, a basic sort-of cylindrical design, a radial up front and a tail at the rear, bubble canopy stuck on top. Really worth investigating, IMHO.
    I have also given thought to a 100% ME 109. Small enough to forgo scaling, but the landing gear geometry scares me. Too narrow a tract, and, as the gear gives the -109 part of it`s distinctive look, no other configuration will (visually) do.
    Also, not for the lower-time pilot. Look up the amount of pilot and aircraft losses due to the l/g config, during training. Staggering. I bet there will be something interesting in the Italian air force, too. Might be ugly, but handling like just the Italians can accomplish.

Erik in Oz.

5. Dec 10, 2019 #65

Erik Snyman

Erik Snyman

Erik Snyman

With a bit of cosmetic changes, and the main gear moved to the wings, a fairly decent FW-190 could also be built. It would be a "scaled" 190, though, but without the calculation headaches.

Erik in Oz.

litespeed likes this.
  6. Dec 10, 2019 #66

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Tachikawa Ki-36/Ki-55 have always appealed to me, though I’d be more interested in an “inspired by” design than a replica. Fixed gear makes for an easier project

Early Fiat and Macchi radial-engine monoplane fighters are also appealing.

7. Dec 10, 2019 #67

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

The problem I see with the Japanese fighters is that the canopies seem to be small in proportion to the fuselage size. Look at the Ki-43, Ki-44, Ki-84 and George. All seem to have smaller canopies than the American fighters.

On the other hand, the Ki-43 Oscar has extremely simple lines that would be easy to replicate with flat wrapped aluminum. It also has ample wing area that would scale down well. And the cockpit sits well forward which should help with weight and balance.

8. Dec 10, 2019 #68

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Wyvern01.jpg Gordon_65.jpg Non left today, only one Griffin powered one.

General characteristics

• Crew: 1 (2 in T.3)
    • Length: 42 ft 3 in (12.88 m)
    • Wingspan: 44 ft 0 in (13.41 m) (folded 20 ft (6 m)
    • Height: 15 ft 9 in (4.80 m) (folded 20 ft (6 m)
    • Wing area: 355 sq ft (33.0 m2)
    • Empty weight: 15,600 lb (7,076 kg)
    • Gross weight: 21,200 lb (9,616 kg)
    • Max takeoff weight: 24,550 lb (11,136 kg)
    • Powerplant: 1 × Armstrong Siddeley Python turboprop engine, 3,560 hp (2,650 kW) +1,100 lbf (4.893 kN) residual thrust
    • Propellers: 4-bladed Rotol contra-rotating, 13 ft (4.0 m) diameter
    Performance

• Maximum speed: 383 mph (616 km/h, 333 kn) at sea level, 380 mph (612 km/h) at 10,000 ft (3,048 m)
    • Range: 910 mi (1,460 km, 790 nmi)
    • Service ceiling: 28,000 ft (8,500 m)
    • Rate of climb: 2,350 ft/min (11.9 m/s)
    • Wing loading: 59.7 lb/sq ft (291 kg/m2)
    • Power/mass: 0.194 eshp/lb
    Armament

• Guns: 4 × 20mm British Hispano Mk.V cannon, 2 in each wing
    • Rockets: 16 × RP-3 underwing rockets
    • Missiles: 1 × Mk.15 or Mk.17 torpedo
    • Bombs: Up to 3,000 lb (1,361 kg) of bombs or mines

9. Dec 10, 2019 #69

bifft

bifft

bifft

Japanese Imperial Army Air Force fighters are something of an obsession of mine. At 100% they would probably be tight but doable for larger American pilots. For smaller scales you would need to have the canopy hinge or slide with part of the fuselage top and have just your head in the "canopy" portion. Pilot in a reclined seat down inside a fuselage that doesn't need all the room for fuel tanks and weapons that a real fighter needs.

That is how my part 103 napkin sketch ended up looking like a Ki-43. You might also consider the Ki-27 which has fixed gear. Does have the harder to build elliptical horizontal stabilizer.

Another one that would be simple is the Ki-61/Ki-100. Same fuselage and wing, different engine. The wings are a straight taper unlike the forward swept (at 25% chord) Nakajima fighters. Fuselage is pretty boxy, originally designed around a liquid cooled inline engine. Ki-100 was the same plane with a radial. Based on having seen a surviving Ki-61 100% scale would probably be needed for someone my size to get inside.

10. Dec 10, 2019 #70

Erik Snyman

Erik Snyman

Erik Snyman

WOW....That Ki-61 is a real sexy beast! Love the lines.
    Erik in Oz.

11. Dec 10, 2019 #71

flitzerpilot

flitzerpilot

flitzerpilot

Hi Deskpilot.

Actually the one surviving Wyvern (at Yeovilton) was a prototype and is powered by a Rolls-Royce Eagle.

For a scaled Bf 109, the sketches below might provide a useful basis. It's my favourite WW2 fighter by a good margin, but many Japanese and Italian types have good proportions and burying a flat-four in a cosmetic radial cowl is a good option. Messeschmitt Bf 109 retracts.jpg Messeschmitt Bf 109 retracts. 2.jpg

Cheers.

raymondbird likes this.
  12. Dec 10, 2019 #72

Flitzer

Flitzer

Flitzer

Actually the Yeovilton Wyvern with the Eagle engine is a pre-production a/c. Just checked!

cluttonfred likes this.
  13. Dec 10, 2019 #73

RJW

RJW

RJW

A lightened full-scale Me 109 with a LS motor could be built to weigh half of what, say, a G6 weighs, maybe less. It would have a landing speed much slower than the originals. I think this would mitigate the ground handling problems of the originals to some extent.

Of Japanese fighters the Ki 43 would be a good candidate for a lighter full-size replica. They are already comparatively light. Plus they are just really beautiful airplanes.

Rob

raymondbird likes this.
  14. Dec 10, 2019 #74

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

I'd love to make a sub-scale Ki-43 or 44 with a somewhat bigger canopy. I like the lines a lot.

Ki-100 would be swell as well.

15. Dec 11, 2019 #75

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    I stand corrected guys. Should have checked myself.