• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What qualities make a plane a good "learner" plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyHammer

What qualities make a plane a good "learner" aircraft?

Off the top of my head, I imagine it's something like large control surfaces , relatively high inherent stability like with high wings, tricycle landing gear, a low stall speed, and an excess of power.

Large control surfaces to retain control at low speeds
High wing to make the plane resistant to over correction.
Tricycle landing gear to help smooth take off and landings.
Low stall speed for a wider safety margin on take off and landings.
A relatively beefy engine for a wider safety margin in general.

So basically a stol plane with tricycle landing gear. You'll get some not great cruise and top speed numbers but climb and handling should be A+.

Am I forgetting anything, or misinterpreting something?

Back