• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What makes for a good flying club?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Nickathome's "Buy or Build" thread, we briefly diverged into the plusses and minuses of his flying club, and I asked him what changes would make club membership more attractive to him. I have an ulterior motive in that question. :gig: I'm the membership chair for the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club, and while our membership is currently way up, I know that such conditions are fickle, and that a big membership can disappear virtually overnight. I want to keep our club growing.

So I put it to the forum: What sort of things would make a flying club (soaring or power) more attractive to you? Good-looking planes? Particular capabilities in the club aircraft? Events? Social meetings? BBQs? Group flights? Trips to museums or airshows? Training available?

Also, but PLEASE don't dominate with this part, what are some things that would "turn you off" about a particular flying club? Assuming you had decided to join one, what would be some things that would make you "look elsewhere"? Let's assume, for purposes of this discussion, that the aircraft are mechanically sound and safe.

Back