What makes Cessna 172 so stable?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

I think we are getting into what we want and not the OP. He wants a 172 where he sits in the nose. He has a hundred threads on it that just about everyone in the community has posted on. An RV is not a 172. He wants to benchmark his mods so his will fly like a 172.

TFF

If that whats it takes. And if it was that simple, he would. I think the answer is a little more difficult to weed out because most of the answers are about more than what he wants. The pinnacle in this is the 172. If the controls are heavy or slow for anyone else’s opinion is irrelevant. That doesn’t get his plane to fly like a 172. I guess the best description of a 172 is the worlds smallest airliner. That is what it fly’s like.

Eugene

Lifetime Supporter
I think we are getting into what we want and not the OP. He wants a 172 where he sits in the nose. He has a hundred threads on it that just about everyone in the community has posted on. An RV is not a 172. He wants to benchmark his mods so his will fly like a 172.
Cessna 172 is just a reference point that I have some experience with. As low time pilot I really appreciate the fact that I can look somewhere else for two seconds without worrying. You get the feeling that this machine is your friend, she's on your side, and she's not trying to make your life harder than it needs to be.

Maybe it is my personal preference or you can call it my special needs. I am terrible at multitasking. Going to new airport my imagination is always struggling to create mental picture of current situation (where I am coming from, what runway is available, where is wind coming from, traffic ahead of me and traffic behind me). I did appreciate the fact that I didn't have to fight with this airplane at all times in situations like this. iPad with ForeFlight really really really saved my butt many times!!!

I see that everybody is absolutely in love with RVs. I tried. Sorry. Didn't work for me.

I don't find exciting driving on top of the pipe. I feel more comfortable to drive inside of it.

How much fun is it when your alignment is off on the car and it's pulling you to one side or another all the time?

IMG_5677.jpeg

Eugene

Lifetime Supporter
I guess the best description of a 172 is the worlds smallest airliner. That is what it fly’s like.
It's funny, but I had exactly the same description for my wife about bonanza. Possibly because low wing and retractable. Big, roomy and heavy, but you can't see nothing below you and there's nothing to see up above = just like airliner on top of the wing.

TFF

A bonanza is bigger so it can’t be the smallest. It is a better airliner than a 172, but the idea is the same, stable. RVs are stable, and in my book and are quite easy to fly, but what they do is what you ask, so if you are not stable on the controls, it’s just mimicking you. A 172, you can shake the controls faster than it can react. Shake a RV and it shakes back.

Eugene

Lifetime Supporter
A bonanza is bigger so it can’t be the smallest. It is a better airliner than a 172, but the idea is the same, stable. RVs are stable, and in my book and are quite easy to fly, but what they do is what you ask, so if you are not stable on the controls, it’s just mimicking you. A 172, you can shake the controls faster than it can react. Shake a RV and it shakes back.
That's very cool explanation. Thank you!

AdrianS

I can't speak for aircraft training, but my wife loved my old Datsun 120y wagon when she first started learning to drive.

It had low-geared manual steering, so it didn't dart around if she turned the wheel a bit, long travel pedals with the same result, and it tracked straight if you did nothing.

I had upgraded the suspension and engine, but it was an utterly predictable, boring car to drive.

The fact that she could concentrate on the road and the world outside, rather than over-focussing on the mechanics of driving, made it a good starter car.

Manual, by the way.

Daleandee

Maybe it is my personal preference or you can call it my special needs. I am terrible at multitasking.
I do understand what you are saying. When I first flew a Sonex I found it to be quite responsive and the neutral stability made it very sporty to fly. It ain't an RV but it's close and quite a bit less money to build. After a few hours of flying it I have found that I now much prefer the responsiveness of the controls as opposed to something like a Challenger ll, C172, or Piper Cherokee.

Sometimes I do miss the complete hands off stability while cross country flying but I have an auto pilot to install during the condition inspection next month. Then I can go back to getting a nap on them longer flights. ;)

JohnB

HBA Supporter
I’ve flown a -7, and, like you, have always wanted a -3, built light, with an O-235.

BJC
Built a -3 almost 50yrs ago,160hp, built light, was #12 to fly, after 800 hrs never flew another RV that was close. JB

Eugene

Lifetime Supporter
Sometimes the radio wakes me with "traffic 12:00, 1/4 mile and closing fast" unless I turn it down before my nap ... :eek:
Before I start hanging out at local airport I used to believe that pilots don’t drink and they don’t sleep when auto pilot is turn on. I changed my mind pretty quick

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Built a -3 almost 50yrs ago,160hp, built light, was #12 to fly, after 800 hrs never flew another RV that was close. JB
I have been wanting a RV-3 and a Tailwind for a long, long time and you are not helping. :D

Daleandee

Before I start hanging out at local airport I used to believe that pilots don’t drink and they don’t sleep when auto pilot is turn on. I changed my mind pretty quick
Now that is scary as I was being totally facetious. I do not drink and I try to keep my distractions to a minimum.

The only music I listen to when I'm flying is called the GM symphony, 6 cylinder movement, by Corvair!

Eugene

Lifetime Supporter
Now that is scary as I was being totally facetious. I do not drink and I try to keep my distractions to a minimum.

The only music I listen to when I'm flying is called the GM symphony, 6 cylinder movement, by Corvair!
My mistake. I meant to say drinking on the ground and not in flight.

But I heard many stories about drunk Russian pilots.

Daleandee

My mistake. I meant to say drinking on the ground and not in flight.

But I heard many stories about drunk Russian pilots.
I've told the story before, and maybe even here, of a reported flyer that would come into our little airport in a Luscombe with a six pack on the passenger seat. I never seen it myself but a number of credible witnesses say it's true. But the witnesses are pilots so I don't know if the word "credible" really applies. 8~)

Eugene

Lifetime Supporter
I've told the story before, and maybe even here, of a reported flyer that would come into our little airport in a Luscombe with a six pack on the passenger seat. I never seen it myself but a number of credible witnesses say it's true. But the witnesses are pilots so I don't know if the word "credible" really applies. 8~)
Well, we do see people drinking and driving all the time, so why not drinking and flying? I’m sure it’s happening every day.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well, we do see people drinking and driving all the time, so why not drinking and flying? I’m sure it’s happening every day.
I have a story about an experience I had with a Russian pilot. To long to put on this site.
Nothing to do with drinking.

Like you, I'm sure it happens, but I have never seen anyone drinking and flying in the same day.

Last edited:

Lendo

Pops, agreed with you on the RV4 - very easy to fly. However having studied Aeronautical design over the years the RV series follow a very simple set of design rules and THAT's why it's very successful. The secret is knowing what the design rules are OR following in the design of successfully designed aircraft. Most people on HBA understand those concepts.
Although I like the RV4, I'm not fussed on the rear seat. Perhaps if I were a smaller person. it would be easier.
George