• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What Lycoming Engine Do I Have... Standard/ Wide Flange??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

My engine logbook and a stamp on the crankcase says the engine is a "L-10748-48" and I was told that it came out of a Super Viking so I look at the Viking POH and it says that Lycoming engine offered is a IO-540-K1A5, K1B5, K1E5 and it says "300 HP engine with max continuous HP turbocharged of 250 HP" so that sounds good but I look at the Parts Catalog specific to that engine and it does not show a turbocharger.

So how would I know what derivative engine I have (K1A5, K1B5, K1E5)?

I have reached out to Lycoming and they say that they cannot identify the engine by the "L-10748-48" because it was too old and their computer does not go back that far.

I look at a bunch of different parts catalogs and the valve covers look different however my engine looks like the engine in the third picture (lower left) in the attached PDF (looks like the K1A5).

So why the two different valve cover designs on the same IO-540?

I see that there is a "Standard Cylinder Flange Crankcase Model" and I look at the Parts Catalog and the picture shows an engine with round-ish looking valve covers with six bolts so I think this must be the cylinder heads that are associated with the "Standard Cylinder" (top left in the attached photo of the cover page of the parts catalog) but then I look at a different Lycoming Parts Catalog for a "Wide Cylinder Flange Model" and that engine has valve covers that look very similar to the "Standard"

Then I look at another catalog and I see a much different looking valve cover that is oblong shaped and has 7 bolts but the catalog still calls it a "Standard Cylinder Flange Crankcase Model"

So I figured that I would reach out to the experienced people on this forum and ask if you can PLEASE explain a little bit about the history and reasons as to why there is a major change in the design and what my engine is called...

THANKS for your advice!!!

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    199.6 KB · Views: 17
Back