what kind glue (or brand name) used for mylar skin ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

howardyin

Hi, guys here, do anyone know what thickness of mylar film used for hangligder (or rigid hanglider ,or like easy rizer,lazair ),and what glue used for gluing file on frame?
fathergoose.jpg

245350264_1486227491741855_965610647384732011_n.jpg

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Mylar is one of the most difficult things to glue that there is.

THREE coats of MEK-thinned contact cement is what Rick's Glass Teck (the top sailplane race-prep shop in CA back in the day) used to do.

Some of the really good transfer adhesives, like the red colored TESA tape, would likely do as well or better. I'm hoping to do some experiments with 3M VHB tape and Mylar sometime in the future.

howardyin

Mylar is one of the most difficult things to glue that there is.

THREE coats of MEK-thinned contact cement is what Rick's Glass Teck (the top sailplane race-prep shop in CA back in the day) used to do.

Some of the really good transfer adhesives, like the red colored TESA tape, would likely do as well or better. I'm hoping to do some experiments with 3M VHB tape and Mylar sometime in the future.
with this understanding of property of Mylar, is there any alternatives for mylar ,which is transparent?

Last edited:

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
the Skyranger and other European microlights are changing over to a heavy Mylar skin. It's very like the stuff used on building sites to block the view. It's got a better UV rating than standard dacron.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I thought I read Lazairs were covered in Tedlar, possibly taped on.
From Wikipedia:
The wing and tail covering for the first 50 Lazair kits was an opaque urethane-impregnated nylon fabric. This was then changed to translucent Mylar PET polymer film, attached to the airframe with single- and two-sided tapes. The Mylar proved to have a short service life due to UV damage, so it was eventually replaced by the more expensive Tedlar PVF film.
Tedlar also have a very slick, low surface energy finish, making it just as hard as Mylar to glue. Same/same for Kapton, another polymer film.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
the Skyranger and other European microlights are changing over to a heavy Mylar skin. It's very like the stuff used on building sites to block the view. It's got a better UV rating than standard dacron.
Source? From Construction | Skyranger EN
Covering is with pre made sewn fabric envelopes, which quickly slide into position and tension. No traditional smelly and messy doping and painting required!

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
From this article in the Practical Sailor Making Sail Repairs Last - Practical Sailor

Among adhesives, many hold, but there is no comparison in terms of making a fast strong, flexible repair: Dr. Sails is the leader. Polyurethanes and G-flex (Karmarepair note: a flexible epoxy from the WEST people) will work temporarily, but the result is much stiffer and epoxy is vulnerable to UV. Long curing times can make it difficult to create a good bond; clamping with weights (sand bags are best) is required and the sail wont be off the floor for days. Ordinary epoxies, including 5-minute epoxies, are too rigid and will result in a weak repair that will fail if the repair flexes too much. For laminate sails, we're sold on Dr. Sails.

A product I was unaware of until about 10 minutes ago.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Source ? I have skin less skyranger and do not want to buy disposable skin.. if were is better alternative

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Super seam is certified for polyester aircraft fabric. I suppose polyester Mylar might be similar. I haven't used it on ultralights Mylar, but did on a model. Pop rivets are an option.

David L. Downey

Tedlar is buyable in bond prepped (etched) one or both sides. Used miles of it in aircraft. Matter of fact, the next time you are on virtually airliner, look at the headliner panels next to your head: they are all faced with bondable Tedlar.
Tedlar has a sort of tear resistance innate to its form. Mylar does not...as a matter of fact, Mylar tears readily in any direction from any nick or puncture.
May, Many, reports of Mylar covered really was Tedlar.
we used a lot of the 3M transfer film (same/similar to what is used on the vhb tapes) to anchor Tedlar...both bondable and non-bondable. Had to fight to get it off. Once off, the adhesive residue has to be solvent melted and scrubbed off - miserable job. Anypne who has removed erosion films from props or leading edges understands!
I have always wondered if the film used for winterizing boats would work? has anyone tried it?

PiperCruisin

Used Tedlar in a rail application. It was kind of a pain.

I've always been interested in some of the stuff used for sails, like for wind surfing. Seems to be the same stuff used for the Alatus AL12 or AC-21.

1634314118429.png

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Can anyone verify that the Dr. Sails glue product mentioned above bonds well to Mylar, Tedlar, Teflon, PE or the other "hard to glue" plastics?

That would be a game-changer for dang sure.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I've been trying to figure out what XLAM is, it seems to be the brand name of a european laminate sailcloth.

Here is an easily available laminate, about the same weight as the lightest Ceconite BEFORE coating. SL-500P 2.2 oz. Laminate Sailcloth 54" - Sailrite Sailrite is about the only retail outlet of sailcloth, and this is the only laminate they currently catalog. Might be just the stuff for BoKu's CarbonMax aft of the spar, although it would have to be laced in place/mechanically tightened.

And an interesting 3m product I wasn't aware of 3M™ Tape Primer 94 - Adhesive Promoter 8 oz. - Sailrite Might help make the Tessa Tape transfer adhesive that Wings and Wheels sells work ever better tesa® Transfer Tape

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Can anyone verify that the Dr. Sails glue product mentioned above bonds well to Mylar, Tedlar, Teflon, PE or the other "hard to glue" plastics?
My UNDERSTANDING (not the same as my TESTING, which I haven't) is that this is DESIGNED to stick to Mylar. I would bet that Tedlar and PE would be OK as well; Teflon, not so much.

Modern laminate sailcloth is Mylar or PE film, laminated to Aramid, UHMPE, Cuben, or Carbon Fiber load carrying fibers.