What is your dream warbird?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
View attachment 105394

This Specific P-51D-20-NA 44-72253. My father's Sixth Jane WR-B was lost in a MAC wen flown by another pilot June 1945, The pilot Todd Beeler, and James Jabarra both parachuted safely. The wreckage was found in a barn near Cambridge by the Muszala family near Cambridge and brought back to Pacific Fighters where it is being restored as one of the very few actual WWII vets. I talked with John Muszala III yesterday - they are reskinning the upper deck and laying out the ribs on the wing. The Fuselage frame and empennage are 100%. There are a high percentage of the original parts in the now 80% complete restoration. My father's assigned D for 15 missions in Feb/Mar 1945 as Deputy Gp CO. It was damaged by flak in late March and dad was assigned 44-72953 JANE VII as replacement.

View attachment 105395

The image below was taken by Cal Sloan during a publicity shoot in the 355th FG dual control P-51D (Base modified).

Man I know your proud of your Dad. It is truly special they are restoring your Dads old P-51 D. Where do they find such men?

Thanks for sharing this truly remarkable bit of history with us all.

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I think it's hard to find a prettier early jet than the Hawker Sea Hawk, though a reduced-scale T-33 would also be a lot of fun. Let's see, the tandem-seat SIPA S.300 managed 224 mph max and 194 mph cruise at 2,000 lb gross weight with just 350 lb thrust from a little Palas turbojet. So with lighter construction and about 500 lb thrust we should really have something fun. Where's my affordable 500 lb thrust turbofan...?!?

Isn't the TJ 100 jet engine that is used on the Subsonex a 300 pound thrust engine or am I mistaken?

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
WW1: SSW D.iV - hands down the best! SPAD Vll, SE5A with a Viper, D.Vll
Inter-war: Blackburn Lincock (prototype).
WW2: Me 109G (clean), Yak 3, La 5FN, Me 262, Fw 190 series, Ki 46, MB-5
Jet Era: Mig 15, F-.86, F-84F, Panther, Hunter - the list is endless.
A 109 G-2,before the armour and guns made it too heavy. Just about the right combination of speed, handling and firepower.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Yes, the manufacturer specs the TJ100 turbojet at 292 lbf takeoff thrust for 5 minutes.

Isn't the TJ 100 jet engine that is used on the Subsonex a 300 pound thrust engine or am I mistaken?

Latest posts