What is your dream warbird?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

drgondog

they tested an IAR 80 with a DB 601 and it blew the normal IAR out of the park. It was almost as fast as the 109E yet still retained the manouverability of the IAR. For some reason, it was not proceeded with.
By 1944 maneuverability was important to the slower fighters - but only if the opposing and much faster fighters like the P-51 and P-38 chose to give up dominant speed and zoom advantage.

BJC

HBA Supporter
By 1944 maneuverability was important to the slower fighters - but only if the opposing and much faster fighters like the P-51 and P-38 chose to give up dominant speed and zoom advantage.
With superior tactics and with less maneuverable aircraft, the AVG amassed an impressive kill ratio.

BJC

Marc W

Not a romantic pick, but my dream warbird is an O-1/L-19 Bird Dog. In fact a light sport version is my dream airplane.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Step 1 - Build Fisher Horizon 2 (with Grove cantilever gear if it bothers you, but I'd just leave off the wheel pants)
Step 2 - Paint green or silver (Army or USAF)
Step 3 - Install dummy rockets
Step 4 - Enjoy! ;-)

bird dog.jpg
horizon 2.jpg

Not a romantic pick, but my dream warbird is an O-1/L-19 Bird Dog. In fact a light sport version is my dream airplane.

Last edited:

Battler Britton

sooo...!..nobody posting my favorite....?

twin radial, single seat... Grumman XF5F Skyrocket..! and maybe, the XP 50 variant...

of course, also the fabulous DH Hornet

Attachments

Last edited:

berridos

My uncle had tons of fun gaining an iron cross with 17 years, on a JU-87. After so much action he strangly became a dentist afterwards.
An a-10 would also be practical.

Marc W

Step 1 - Build Fisher Horizon 2 (with Grove cantilever gear if it bothers you, but I'd just leave off the wheel pants)
Step 2 - Paint green or silver (Army or USAF)
Step 3 - Install dummy rockets
Step 4 - Enjoy! ;-)
Yep! If you make that with a steel tube fuselage, angle the windows out a little more and make sure I have enough headroom, you have winner!

drgondog

My father's first victory credit was on his first mission on D-Day. The 354FS/355th FG caught 15 Ju-8s trying to sneak to the beachhead at dusk. They shot every one down - SG 103 near Janville. A training squadron with very experienced instructors called to duty when the invasion started.

Your uncle was luck to have survived. Question, did you mean 17 years experience in Ju 87? How was that possible? Did Spain acquire some and retain post WWII?

berridos

He was 17 when he became JU87 pilot. Guess they run out of pilots and kids are fearless to dive bomb. I am half german.

Speedboat100

Banned
My father's first victory credit was on his first mission on D-Day. The 354FS/355th FG caught 15 Ju-8s trying to sneak to the beachhead at dusk. They shot every one down - SG 103 near Janville. A training squadron with very experienced instructors called to duty when the invasion started.

Your uncle was luck to have survived. Question, did you mean 17 years experience in Ju 87? How was that possible? Did Spain acquire some and retain post WWII?

D-Day was a "modest side show"...the real action was at the Karelian Isthmus where the Stukas prevailed and saved Finland from Soviet occupation.

immola1944.jpg

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I could say a lot, but will not, I remember WW-2 very well. I lived about 1.5 miles from a plant that made large gun barrels for ships, etc, and tanks, trucks and haft-tracks. Remember laying in bed at night doing the black outs with the air-raid sirens going off and wondering if any bombs would hit.

Speedboat100

Banned
I could say a lot, but will not, I remember WW-2 very well. I lived about 1.5 miles from a plant that made large gun barrels for ships, etc, and tanks, trucks and haft-tracks. Remember laying in bed at night doing the black outs with the air-raid sirens going off and wondering if any bombs would hit.

Yes all fronts had heroes on both sides.

Certainly D-Day was a major offensive...as was the one that knocked Finland out of the war. Thank God.....had we fought a year more there would be only ruins....possibly soviets would still control the east....including Finland.

Allied had very good intel and able to strike:

Mcmark

See #100 "Twin would be the Mosquito and I've grown partial to the Grumman's, early war the Wildcat and late the Bearcat."
That and between Greenamyer and Rare Bear just Brutish!!!
When at Reno racing in 2011, I got to witness the Bear fly. Not competitive at that point but as it came down the back stretch, all you heard/felt was the prop beating the air. God what a sound!

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have often thought a Grumman Wildcat replica would be great fun but you'd need retractable gear for the complete look and that would remove it from LSA. A GM-built FM-2 would actually make the most sense thanks to the bigger rudder. 5/8 scale would give you 101.5 sq ft of wing area, just right for a modest single-seater with a hidden VW.

Riggerrob

Yes all fronts had heroes on both sides.

Certainly D-Day was a major offensive...as was the one that knocked Finland out of the war. Thank God.....had we fought a year more there would be only ruins....possibly soviets would still control the east....including Finland.

Allied had very good intel and able to strike:
What is the SP half-track at 1:34? Is it based upon a captured French chassis?

Mcmark

Some of the Lohle airplanes had both fixed and retract.
They seemed to be reasonably well received.