What is your biggest gripe about your hangar?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
'Patented roller cam'
Proof positive you can patent anything, as long as it isn't challenged.
Same idea in that it's a non-loading door. Not the same implementation with the roller cam and hydraulics, hence the patent for the new design. I considered the Ultimate Door for quite some time. Finally decided to go with a steel door that could support more than just plastic panels because I wanted to strengthen and insulate it.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
That looks like a good approach, especially for someone wanting a good door at a low price, and willing to drive some screws. Two thoughts:
1) Do the plans/kits come with a stamp from an engineer that is acceptable to local code authorities/airport managers/underwriters?...
I believe that was in the package, but my builder kept a lot of it. I have no doubt they'd provide it if you needed it though. You could ask. They're very responsive to questions. Super nice people, and very helpful.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
The UD *concept* can be built in steel; there's one at a club-owned private strip about 20 miles from me. As I said, they're not 'free standing', but can be a lot lighter than a lot of the commercially available doors.

A lot of usable ideas become unusable on gov. run airports and in locations with intrusive permit departments. And a door like mine would not be a good idea in hurricane-prone areas, though it's survived multiple 'hurricane residue' events with winds in the 50+ mph range, ~180 miles from the Gulf coast.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Yep. Familiar with your area. Born in Jackson, grew up in Leland, with most of my relatives in Meridian, and had cousins in Jackson for several years. Have some very fond memories of swimming in the Pearl River (or maybe it was the girls in bikinis). Was in the Hattiesburg area when Camille went through, and was stationed at Keesler twice, so I kinda know the drill.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Ahhh...Leland. Hope you got to listen to Johnny & Edgar, before Johnny departed for that great guitar camp in the sky.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
They left before I knew who they were, as did Jim Henson. But the Winters did live in my neighborhood.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
The Port-A-Port I rent half of leaks like a sieve. The door seals are long gone, plus there are leaks on both sides of the central "hall" where it joins the "wings". The airport owner is going to clear away all the remaining Port-A-Ports in the next two years, so it's not worth putting a dime into this thing, but it looks like a wet winter, so I'm thinking about replacing the upper door seals over the center section at least so it doesn't rain on my tools.

You can still get parts for these things Port-A-Port Orders by Port-A-Port Parts.

The springs need to be replaced too, but that isn't happening before I get this plane done and back to Concord where it will live on a tie down until I can get a shade hangar, or a hangar share.

skeeler

biggest complaint is I haven t built it yet. Years ago I owned a quicksilver but life got in the way and I sold it. But Im older now and we bought 40 acres in kansas and im ready to build a runway hanger and possibly a little j3 kitten{I have a 503 sitting in my shop}

N804RV

HBA Supporter
My biggest gripe is that, as a month-to-month renter, I never know if one day I'll get a "notice to vacate". If I lose my hangar, it'll be next to impossible to find another one. I have money set aside to buy one. But, so far only one possible, and the seller made an appointment to show, then cancelled because someone handed him full price in cash before I could even see it.

Flash

The Reversion Clause and other BS required at public airports is the reason private air park communities have become so popular over the the last 30 years. Been on air parks since 1997. Property taxes for my Home and 3,000 sf hangar are less than what other are paying for fees, leases, etc on smaller hangars at the local public airports. Hangar is 75 ft from the house. The hangar faces the runway. I own everything until I die or sell. I just can't justify building and developing a public airport's infrastructure with my money.

Aviacs I did the 30 min flight and T&Gs yesterday evening. Didn't have to talk to a soul for permission to fly. I'd never go back to a public airport.

Later everyone, I going to walk that 75 feet out to the hangar and play with my toys.

speedracer

I'm at the Hood River, OR. airport. The hangers are 20 years old and maintained by the Port of Hood River that owns the airport. Dual sliding doors, all T hangers, presently 4K a year. For two years my hanger partner (with the prototype Cozy MK 4) was in Saudi Arabia flying for Saudi Aramco and paid ALL the rent. I was in heaven. Then for 15 years my partner had a Varieze and shared the rent. It's against the rules to have two airplanes in one hanger. We got away with it for 12 years till somone narked on us. I attended two port meetings and pled poverty "We're just a couple of old retired guys who are so poor that in order to own airplanes we had to build them ourselves". The Port caved and we got permission. Six months ago my partner sold his plane so now I'm stuck with the 4K. There's two Long EZ's in the hanger now, and I own them both so feel slightly better about the hanger cost.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Reversion Clause and other BS required at public airports is the reason private air park communities have become so popular over the the last 30 years. Been on air parks since 1997. Property taxes for my Home and 3,000 sf hangar are less than what other are paying for fees, leases, etc on smaller hangars at the local public airports. Hangar is 75 ft from the house. The hangar faces the runway. I own everything until I die or sell. I just can't justify building and developing a public airport's infrastructure with my money.

Aviacs I did the 30 min flight and T&Gs yesterday evening. Didn't have to talk to a soul for permission to fly. I'd never go back to a public airport.

Later everyone, I going to walk that 75 feet out to the hangar and play with my toys.
I wasted hanger rent for over 20 years at a county airport. Now my total taxes for my home, hanger, airplanes, autos, etc is $670 a year. I own part of the 3150' grass runway but the taxes on the runway is separate.

djmcfall

My biggest complaint is hard to move sliding doors. I have installed three overhead doors, one Schweitzer cable bifold (50x14), good door with no issues. Then two Powerlift hydraulic one piece doors (41x11 and 51x15). Good doors with good customer service. Factory authorized dealers-manufacturers located throughout the US. Mine was made in Salt Lake City, Utah. They deliver and install them all for one price. Close tight and provide a shaded area to work in front of your hangar during hot weather.

Marc W

The biggest problem with my hanger is it's 17 miles away. It's hard to work on anything there since my big power tools are at home in my insulated and heated shop.

Cardmarc

My biggest complaint about my TX hangar next to my house is that it’s ‘not big enough’-40x50 with a high lift bifold door. I have stuffed too much stuff in there besides my plane. AC and heat & a bathroom would have been nice, too, and a loft/enclosed AC’d office. But it’s enough. There is always a more glorious example (like next door!).

ddsrph

I got very lucky with hangars. Our TN airport built some all metal bifold door hangars about 12 years ago and sold them to private owners. I bought a 40 by 40 as second owner then last year traded it for one of the all metal Tee hangars the city built at same time as the others. Ended up with less than 20k total investment in all metal tee hangar with bifold doors.CCFE5FEC-AD7E-4BB4-BB2C-AF008446D1C3.jpegCCFE5FEC-AD7E-4BB4-BB2C-AF008446D1C3.jpeg

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
love that airplane. Always wanted one.