• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What is worth a few pounds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

A question in a trade/mission study has always intrigued me.

What would you sacrfice weight for on a design? I'm wondering about were would one add weight specifically.

Assuming a weight conscience builder aiming for the safest low weight possible what would you add for convenience, improved component materials, and for simple whims? I'm looking as much for peoples wish or complaint list as much as a logical choice based on a benefit study.

Me. I am always looking at simple homebuilt designs for cheap recreational flying. Here are some ideas that I often consider.

1- Utilize auto windshield glass rather than the usual plastics. The care required for the plastics and the degraded view with time bugs me. The clarity and easy care of safety glass seems worth a few pounds. I'm refering to the simple flat panel screens like a Fly Baby or a Wittman design.

2- After squezzing my trim 6'2" 280# 56 year old arthritic body head first into the bowels of my Fly Baby cockpit I am willing to sacrfifice weight to allow removeable panels on the sides and bottom of the cockpit area like crop dusters have so one can work on thier machine easily.

3- Designing a comfortable cockpit with a comfortable seat for a fat butt, mine of course. I would never imply anyone else here has a wide rump.

4- The tough engineering questions like how much added weight to sacrifice for lowering drag, ie. cantilevered versus braced surfaces. Or decisions like electric flaps versus manual flaps versus no flaps. Tight tolerance construction suitable to utilize laminar flow airfoils as compared to less critical turbulent airfoils.

Last edited:
Back