What is this twin engine seaplane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Incredibly dangerous?

Dunno. Never seen that one before, but I don't like that the props are right in the path both the pilot and passenger would naturally take up to the front of the floats. You'd be passing through or near the prop arc every time you got into it. And the fuselage-side strut attachments are aft of the doors, naturally pushing people towards the props.

There would be operational means to minimize the risk, sure, but wow.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That’s an Aeroprakt Samara A-37 from Ukraine. I understand Topaz’s concerns but they would be true of almost any small tractor twin seaplane or flying boat. In this case, if the doors hinge forward like a typical car then it would be hard to get past them without going for a swim. I would suggest an electric trolling motor for docking.

1631733403302.jpeg

Last edited:

PiperCruisin

Incredibly dangerous?

Dunno. Never seen that one before, but I don't like that the props are right in the path both the pilot and passenger would naturally take up to the front of the floats.
Just call him Stumpy. I kind of like it though. Not too big. Seems like the floats are a little close to the fuselage though. Anywho, never saw it before. Was just curious.

Hephaestus

stealing dan johnson's pic ;)

Now put floats high and tight on the FX1!

tralika

The wing struts on the DHC-2 Beaver are aft of the front doors and while it rarely happens, people have walked up the float and into the prop with easy to imagine results. But that has also happened on aircraft with the wing strut in front of the door. It's not difficult to duck under the strut and walk up front. People get excited and do impulsive things.

When I'm flying floats I do not let anyone step out on the float until I have shut down the engine and the prop has stopped turning. I'd rather run into a dock or rock then take a chance of someone walking into the prop. If someone is going to help me dock or moor the plane I brief them to take off their seat belt and headset, open the door, put their foot on the step but don't get out until I pat them on the shoulder and say OK Now.

I notice the A-37 has no water rudders so it is steered with asymmetrical thrust during slow taxi. If the props have Beta the plane would be so maneuverable in slow taxi there would not be any reason for someone to get out on a float while an engine is running. You could make the argument it would be even safer than a SES plane regardless of door location.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
That’s because we all envision ourselves as hero pilots flying a Boeing 314 across the Pacific …………
What if that isn't true? What if we never want to fly across the Pacific ... as hero pilots or even just regular pilots? Maybe some of us think single engine pilots are morons?