Quantcast

What is the ultimate bush plane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

Ah, give me an Antonov AN2....
Now that there is one airplane I'd love to try. Sounds like a real airplane, awesome short-field capability, 28 MPH slow flight. Taildragger, too. I once parked a Taylorcraft next to an AN-2; the Antonov's aileron was nearly as big as the T-cart's wing.

Dan

PTAirco

And you can carry all your friends, BBQ, deckchairs, beer coolers, a couple of La-Z-Boy recliners and still land on a small sandbank.

I sat in one once and fell in love - like my old Series 3 Land Rover except bigger and with wings. If I could only afford to put fuel in one, I'd sell my Aeronca project and buy one -they don't cost much more to buy.

Attachments

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Beaver and the Cub are both great planes, as is the Antonov. Each do things the other can't do. But there are other good bush planes, that fill niches that neither the Beaver nor the Cub can. It's all a matter of what your needs are.

-Dana

"The average American has one ball and one tit. You now know everything you need to know about statistics."

RacerCFIIDave

In my college days I would deliver Helio Couriers of pretty much every configuration I have ever seen and a few I have not seen anywhere else... for a dealer...

A PT6 powered Helio gets my vote!

WHOOOOSH!

Whatta airplane! I can operate one out of a spot seemingly not much bigger than itself...:gig:

Dave

BoeveP51

Lifetime Supporter
Spring Hill, FL - formerly W. Ossipee, NH
I remember in 66 flying from Andros Island (Bahamas) to Nassau. Left seat requested a short field landing and tower responded "sure, go ahead"

He landed and stopped on the numbers, then turned left off the runway.

The tower responded " So, that is what a short field landing is"

My experience in a Helio Courier

crazycanuck

I really don't think any of these qualify as bush planes. I my humble opinion a bush plane is for accessing remote areas for things like trout fishing. It is to get to the place that nobody else can reach. I see images of chest waders tosses in the back with a fly rod and enough supplies for a shore lunch. I see it landing on a tight stretch of river where the tree canopy breaks.

I think the Cub is a more important bush plane than the Beaver simply because the Cub can get into tighter spots. Further it is cheap enough to operate that it can actually be used for trout fishing. My grandfather never had a license, but he always talked about how much he wanted a Cub for his hunting and fishing in Northern Ontario.

I read the following book and it got me dreaming about what bush planes are all about. The author used have a fly in operation on Ivanhoe Lake where my family owns a cottage.

Trespassing in God's Country - Google Books

Dan Thomas

I really don't think any of these qualify as bush planes. I my humble opinion a bush plane is for accessing remote areas for things like trout fishing. It is to get to the place that nobody else can reach. I see images of chest waders tosses in the back with a fly rod and enough supplies for a shore lunch. I see it landing on a tight stretch of river where the tree canopy breaks.

I think the Cub is a more important bush plane than the Beaver simply because the Cub can get into tighter spots. Further it is cheap enough to operate that it can actually be used for trout fishing. My grandfather never had a license, but he always talked about how much he wanted a Cub for his hunting and fishing in Northern Ontario.
Here ya go:
[video=youtube;A4bYAGBZrME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4bYAGBZrME&feature=related[/video]

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

autoreply

Wouldn't a helicopter on floats then be the ultimate bush-plane?

A gyrocopter would also qualify, since it has the best STOL-characteristics you can get, without the complexity of the Helo.

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
Wouldn't a helicopter on floats then be the ultimate bush-plane?

A gyrocopter would also qualify, since it has the best STOL-characteristics you can get, without the complexity of the Helo.
Both of those use a massive amount of fuel for the range traveled. Range can be essential for getting way into back country.

Shannon.

autoreply

Both of those use a massive amount of fuel for the range traveled. Range can be essential for getting way into back country.
Virtually every helicopter has more range than the Cub, that's mentioned here as "bush plane". I can't think of a single area, except for the Antartic or mid-ocean where a 300 NM range (plus reserves) wouldn't be enough for a "bush" plane. Those "massive" 30 gallons aren't that much either are they?

Idem for the gyro.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather have a Cub needing emergency repairs back in the bush than a chopper or even a gyro...

-Dana

If the government doesn't trust us with our guns, why should we trust them with theirs?