What is the fastest 200hp plane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dieselfume

Here's a question that should get you thinkin'. What is the fastest kit or plans built airplane that is max 200hp (IO-360 or similar)

I've looked at race results for the sport class off the RARA site but they all seem to be IO-540 powered or something more exotic. That class seems to be dominated by Lancairs and Glasairs.

It would be kinda neat to build the fastest 200hp in existence...

pylon500

What's the fastest 200 HP plane?
How long is a piece of string?!! :rolleyes:

Hey, don't get me wrong, it sounds like a valid question, but it is open to some serious interpretation. :roll:
Do you mean a stock 200 HP engine?
Do you mean an engine that's dyno'd to 200 HP?
Remember, Formular One racers use the old O-200 originally rated to 100HP (96 if a good one!), but turning at 4500 RPM around the course, they're producing somewhat more!! :eek:
Do you just want out and out speed?
Have a look at;
http://www.youngeagles.org/15000pics/15035.html
I've had a search for; 200HP; max-speed; (on Google) but couldn't find anything faster than the Polen special, even from Rutan.
Arthur.

orion

Looking at this inquiry from a wider perspective, I guess my first question would be "Why?"

As you stated, there are already several airplanes that perform rather well in the 200 hp category and while improvements in speed could potentially be made, the resulting airplanes would have to be point designs that would most likely not be good for anything else except going fast in a straight line. And we have plenty of those already, most of which are no longer selling all that well, if at all.

If you are willing to do (or pay for) all the work necessary to accomplish this goal, including everything from engineering to prototyping and flight testing, and all you are after is one item, then you might be able to justify the expense since at the end you'll have the airplane you are after. And after all, that is the point of homebuilding.

But if you think you'll sell the kits to it and make a business around a one-trick-pony, I'd probably suggest you reconsider since you'll have thrown away a lot of time, money and effort. The high performance mindset has been around for some time. As a matter of fact, in many homebuilt product lines, this has been the all consuming goal since the inception of our "industry".

This worked fine for a while since it was often thought that just one mile an hour faster than the next guy resulted in a few extra sales. But after a few years, customers started to realize that they wanted to not just go fast, but they also wanted to go somewhere and carry something along the way. Unfortunately though, the kit producers did not catch on to this change in the market until for some of them it was too late.

Others started advertising more utility but realistically, this was just a whitewash treatment of a poor product. Either the airplanes they had just did not have the volume capacity for a reasonable load or in some cases, the airplanes were just too limited in scope (sort of like a Cessna 172 is really a realistic two place with baggage capacity, not four).

So, if you want one for yourself, go for it and most importantly, have fun along the way. If on the other hand you wish to do something like this in a commercial manner, then I'd probably recommend you take a wider look around at what the market really needs before making the investment.

Last edited:

Dieselfume

It was mostly a curiosity thing. I agree, to kit something out wouldn't be worth it. Such a plane isn't practical.

I didn't realize those O-200's were being revved to 4500... Yikes!

I guess I meant 200 dynoed HP. So for a single seat, that Polen Special II at 345 mph @ 28000ft (cruise 325 mph) is the fastest I've seen.

Although that will bring up an apples to oranges comparison, what if one is spec'd at FL180 and the other at FL280 ft?

On a more practical note... How bout the fastest 2 seat cross-country on 200 dynoed HP? (for the sake of Hangar talk)

Looking back at my old Kitplanes issues, Osprey GP-4, 250mph top, 240 mph cruise, IO-360 200hp. is the fastest I find. Can anybody top that?

StRaNgEdAyS

I know that 100hp KR2s regularly (and easily) exceed 200mph, I can't help but wonder how it would go with 200hp under the cowl. :ponder:
Probably not 345mph, and probably nowhere but a straight line either.:rolleyes:

orion

Assuming the installation is about the same, and you neglect the issues of increased weight, cooling drag, and a few other aspects of the airplane that are affected by a larger engine, and you assume similar prop efficiency numbers, then the speed difference is a function of the cube root of the power increase.

So if you install twice as much power, you can expect your speed to increase by a factor of the cube root of 2.0, or about 1.265. So, if you started with 200 mph, the larger engine will result in a max speed of 253 mph.

Paul Walter

Hi to the group, first post replying to an old topic - but currently on ebay in the US is this great looking Midget Mustang with 205 HP Lycoming claiming a cruise speed of 285 mph, i'm not sure where that rates in speed bragging rights but it sure looks like a sweet little number. I'm also not sure if the midget was designed to accomadate this amount of weight and horse power either. Listed for $45,000

Midget Mustang I Pylon Racer ebay #280640486458

Group Builder