What is the best aviation story you have read.

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Alan Waters, Jan 29, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 5, 2015 #21

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Saint-Ex is like poetry; you (or at least I) have to be in the mood for it.

I had trouble with that one. Parts were very good, but parts were also very disturbing. That somebody could be so blind...

Another one I just remembered (read it back in high school, had to look it up) is Rescue Mission by John Ball, about two CAP pilots who've never flown anything larger than a Cub; they find an apparently abandoned Constellation on a tropical island and decide to fly it out to save people from an approaching hurricane. And another I just remembered is Arthur Hailey's Runway Zero-Eight; a WWII fighter pilot (again, never flown anything larger and hasn't flown in years) has to take over an airliner when both pilots are down with food poisioning. The made a terrible movie from it, which was later spoofed in the silly movie Airplane.

Dana

2. Feb 5, 2015 #22

bcguide

bcguide

bcguide

Bush pilot with a brief case

3. Feb 5, 2015 #23

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

Probably my all-time favourite is, as others have mentioned, Fear is the Hunter by Ernest K Gann.

And I'm particularly fond of the historical books on aviation and one great bonus with that is that most of them are no longer copyright and therefore are available on the internet free as ebooks.

Here is a link to a library of free aviation ebooks, there are some fantastic ones among them including stuff by Brown (Alcock and Brown first flew the Atlantic) Curtiss (Curtiss Aircraft) Harry Hawker (famous Australian pilot whose name was given by Tom Sopwith to the Hawker Aircraft Co), Otto Lilienthal (inventor/father of the hang-glider 1870s) Victor Lougheed (The man responsible for the Lockheed Aircraft Co, Lougheed was the original spelling) Sir Ross Smith (early Australian aviator, pilot for T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) and in 1919 with his brother Keith flew a Vickers Vimy from Hounslow, England to Darwin, Australia in 135hrs over 28 days, Orville Wright 2 books - Early History of the Airplane - How we made the First Flight. And many others ...

Roy Glashan's Library is a fabulous repository of free ebooks also.

Project Gutenberg has thousands ...

Calibre too ...

Folks - If you benefit as much as I do from these collections of free books then do please bear in mind that they are compiled and maintained by volunteers (just like HBA) and please consider making a small donation as it goes a long way to ensuring that these fabulous resources stay available for the future :ban: :beer:

Thanks for the thread Alan Waters!

EDIT - BTW, depending on what format you choose for downloading the file it may, or may not, show the illustrations. I always choose the PDF file type which does have the photos and diagrams, epub doesn't, I don't know about mobi and some of the others. The file size with the illustrations is much larger of course which may not suit some folks with limited internet or storage space.

Vision_2012 and Alan Waters like this.
  4. Feb 8, 2015 #24

Floydr92

Floydr92

Floydr92

not a book, but a story i was told...

one of my lecturers told us he was working in an MRO for BA, and a 'high profile' middle eastern VIP arrived with his 747. The plane was in the hangar getting repairs and the fire alarm was sounded, but with the big fire retardant system they have, foam is too expensive - so they had used something cheap, readily available, that foams up...Pigs blood.

What they had done, is drench a Muslim mans 747 in pigs blood. :/

5. Feb 8, 2015 #25

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

"Tempting Fate: An Experimental Test Pilot's Story" by Robert O. Rahn

So many things happened to him, I started making a list
    - P-39 Airacobra - Lands in a grass field, hits, rut, rips out the nosegear
    - Spitfire - Formation T/0 during duststorm, hits parked airplane, totally destroyed, cuts and bruises
    - Spit - Taxiing C.O.'s airplane, hits mud puddle, noses onto prop
    - Takes 20mm through his canopy
    - B-17 Test with 1,000,000 candlepower flares, flares ignite, crew bails. He dives to lower altitude, puts out fire
    - P-47 Gets low fuel indication, lands, engine quits on rollout
    - P-47 Loses power on takeoff, lands downwind, barely clears hangar, wheel lock down a second before T/D
    - P-47 Loses engine, deadsticks into a field, hits trees, aircraft totaled. Scratches
    - P-61 2nd flight, civilian buddy puts him in a spin
    - Skyraider - Test bomb drop in 90 deg dive, bomb hits prop, engine comes off, bails
    - Skyraider - Fuel problem, lands in a beanfield
    - F-2G Corsair - midair, gets parachute opening seconds before impact
    - Skyraider - engine failure, deadsticks into LAX
    - Skyraider - engine failure, deadstick
    - Skyraider - High speed test pulls 9.1G, ruins the airplane
    - Avalanche - caught in one skiing. Manages to poke ski pole through 3' snow. Is found

It goes on but I lost my second page of accidents in the jet age. As I recall, he deadsticks an F-8 crusader too.

6. Feb 8, 2015 #26

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

"Hauling Checks" mixes humor with occasionally bizarre behavior in a light cargo flying tale... I think only available as an e-book, it's enjoyable and a tale about one moderately competent and responsible pilot surrounded by cretins...

7. Feb 8, 2015 #27

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

8. Feb 10, 2015 #28

JBAZ

JBAZ

JBAZ

The latest one I'm reading is: Zero 3 Bravo, true story of young lady flying a Luscombe across the USA and back, solo. Not available as ebook/Kindle but used for $5 delivered-fun read!

JB

9. Feb 10, 2015 #29

oriol

oriol

oriol

Perhaps it can not be considered a masterpiece but I enjoyed reading Michael Crichton "Airframe" . Although I have never worked in a major aeronautic company I believe that the author does a great job in describing realistically the atmosphere inside. Not epic but interesting an entertaining at the same time.

Alan Waters likes this.