• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What is Better...Dynon or Advanced Flight Systems For An Aircraft Upgrade???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

Hi All,

I know Advanced Flight Systems (AFS) was bought by Dynon however after two years their systems are still two distinct different systems and each has it's benefits and features.

So the question I am asking...if you were to buy a flying aircraft that is equipped with old steamer guages and were going to rip out the steamer gauges (except the attitude indicator) and convert the airplane to an IFR glass panel, what system would you buy?

How long would it take to rip out the old guages and replace the system with glass (I am very knowledgeable with auto electric however I am new to homebuilt aircraft)?

AFS has an Advanced Control Module that is essentially a digital version of the old circuit breaker panel and makes for a clean installation. Looks like all that needs to be done is to mount this module in a convenient location in the airplane and then route a power cable to it and then route the wires for the other electrical appliances on the airplane to it. It looks like it can be used with either the Dynon or the AFS EFIS.

Anyhoo...If anyone has gone down this decision making road recently then I would be grateful for any advice.

THANKS!!!

Back