• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What is an affordable ultralight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVAN

I've been wondering what folks would consider an affordable ultralight that would be ground breaking in one form or another.

It seems that in the ultralight market, price is a big consideration and the largest factor determining sales volume. My impression is that paragliders are the cheapest and also the most prevalent, even though they are unpowered and have very restrictive weather and operating requirements. Next is paramotors, then trikes and finally the ultralights that are airplane like, each successive group being more expensive, more capable flyers and fewer in the numbers of them in operation.

In each of these categories, the bulk of sales appears to favor the more simplified low cost models. Aerolite-103 sales outstrip Belite Pro-Cub sales, etc... and on down the line.

Are my impressions of this market space about right? I'm largely going on anecdotal information and the poor statistical sample consisting of what I have seen. So, one question is how right, or wrong is my impression?

Also, I came across the HBA thread linked below. The original goal from the OP was for a $5,500 ultralight.

$5,500 aircraft?

This was 7 years ago, back in 2013. Judging realistic inflation can become a bit contentious, as the CPI is a poor metric of inflation, IMO. I'm thinking that the equivalent would be over $10,000 today. My swimming pool safety cover is a domestic US manufactured product that I just got replaced. This one cost 2.3 times more than the previous replacement I got back in 2013. If I use that metric the equivalent US made ultralight would be almost $14,000.

I'm curious to know what others think. What is considered an inexpensive price for an ultralight today? For folks that were envisioning a $5,500 ultralight back in 2013, what would they expect that envisioned ultralight to cost now, and what were you envisioning for your money?

Last edited:
Back