What is an affordable ultralight?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
I've been wondering what folks would consider an affordable ultralight that would be ground breaking in one form or another.
To me a ground breaking ultralight would be something that looks and flys like a traditional airplane, has reasonable performance, a four stroke engine, solid on-going technical support, electric start, and fits me, at 6’ 2” and 215 pounds.
What do others deem "ground breaking in one form or another" to be?

BJC

All you guys & girls have forgotten aviation ultralight history.... the VP1(Volksplane)....simple to build...vw engine...a simple engine to maintain...cheap to buy.....yes not the most "pretty" aircraft....but properly engineered & designed for a mission statement. Build cost with engine today with a little savy say $15000 $Aus...go and think....an overbuilt "tank".....but does the job. And if you don't like the VW engine....then at more cost....say a Jabiru 2200.
Kind regards,
Greg.....owner of a VP1

Victor Bravo

In the USA and perhaps other countries, there is a significant difference between ultralights and homebuilt experimentals. The VP-1 is almost double the maximum weight allowed for an "ultralight" here.

Here in Australia...an ultralight aircraft is below 1350lbs maximum take off weight......overseen by Recreational Aviation Australia under our Civil Aviation Safety Authority....your equivalent FAA...so given your weight restrictions....the only aircraft that I know that may meet your Ultralight requirements is The J3 Kitten....a very nice aircraft...to look at...I have not flown one.
Kind regards,
Greg.

mullacharjak

Chinook WT11 ultralight with rotax 277.There is not much aluminum in that aircraft.It can easily be scratch built.Or VJ24W sunfun with KT100 Yamaha engine.More difficult to build than the Chinook.

Tom Emery

I could swear I loaded a few pictures. Here, round 2. I am not very tech savvy. I just assume the little gremlins will do the right thing and post what I have selected.
I am watching this process to insure something happens. It looks like the seat and control stick are loaded. As I type the next picture is 92% done. 94, 96.... I need a faster connection..this is tedious.
Well, while the next 2 pictures load, I might as well tell you a little bit about my "Craigslist " find.
I have been researching ultralights for the last 6 months in anticipation of selecting a first wing. I flew hanggliders for about 5 years and wanted a "real" plane with "stick and rudder" control and a seat. Hanging under an airframe trying to keep your head up for 2 or 3 hours is murder on an already messed up back. No running to take off and land, no hunting thermals, no having to hump the glider on and off the transport van and assemble it every time you want to fly...getting old.
I selected the Hummer for its raw simplicity, its docile handling and that open cockpit. I also decided to purchase a Mitchell wing. Yeah, I know, who needs 2 planes? Well , I have the Hummer and the Mitchell isn't going anywhere just yet. I may wait a bit on the Mitchell.
Craigslist, Minneapolis, a month ago, there it was, Hummer for sale, $1250.00, another hanger queen. I put a deposit on it and was able to conclude some business and free up time to go get it.
So here it sits in Alabama on the trailer after a 1200 mile trip. I am taking it to Florida to learn to fly it. There is a gentleman there who has owned Hummers for the last 40 years. He is an instructor and has agreed to get me airborne. His name is Vern and if you go to You Tube, you can see him flying and talking on one of Dan Johnson's documentaries.
The last picture still has not loaded...47% and counting...slowly...and now it has stalled. Looks like you get 3 pictures, not 4.
Hope these boot up because I am running out of patience.
Tom Emery 20200602_172253.jpg20200602_172253.jpg20200602_171808.jpg20200602_171645.jpg

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Chinook WT11 ultralight with rotax 277.There is not much aluminum in that aircraft.It can easily be scratch built.Or VJ24W sunfun with KT100 Yamaha engine.More difficult to build than the Chinook.
I don't see where plans or parts for the Chinook single place are available. Do you have a source?