Quantcast

What is an affordable ultralight?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

I spent two decades trying to get the designer of this plane to give me more details ... enough so to replicate the plane but no success. What I loved was the simplicity and that it had
folding wings and was a tractor. On the one photo I inserted red lines where I thought the tubes existed in the skeleton.

Wow, that is a very elegant minimalist design. I am guessing that there are miles and miles of cable bracing, but it's still very efficient looking from a simplicity standpoint. Looks like a perfect configuration for a modern aluminum tube and gusset entry level project.

ASSUMING that the designer hadn't already done this... and taking (stealing) a clever feature from the little dePischoff biplane... You could put an over-center hinge system in the kingpost of that yellow ultralight, and leave all of the flying and landing wires attached but still have the wings fold easily. Over-center the kingpost to take the wire tension off, then remove the king post from its socket on the keel tube, and you might have enough "loose" wire to fold the wings back without taking any wires off.

Last edited:

slociviccoupe

Just dumb question but how come no one ever looks at or considers moni motor glider. Saw it in eaa air museum long time ago in oshkosh and its a very cool small little plane.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Just dumb question but how come no one ever looks at, or considers, the Moni motor glider. Saw it in EAA air museum a long time ago in oshkosh and it's a very cool small little plane.
A great idea, poorly executed. Tail heavy. Monnett tried to use Dick Schreder's bonded aluminum technique, but used far too little bonding area. One of them literally came apart in the air; luckily the pilot was wearing a chute. The ribs on the first set of kits were too narrow to salvage by pop riveting. Also designed and prototyped before Part 103 was finalized, and is nowhere near light enough.

mullacharjak

Volmer jensen VJ24W ultralight Go cart Yamaha KT 100 engine.Brand new engine cost just 750$.
One can switch off the engine and glide down gently or maybe even soar.

slociviccoupe

A great idea, poorly executed. Tail heavy. Monnett tried to use Dick Schreder's bonded aluminum technique, but used far too little bonding area. One of them literally came apart in the air; luckily the pilot was wearing a chute. The ribs on the first set of kits were too narrow to salvage by pop riveting. Also designed and prototyped before Part 103 was finalized, and is nowhere near light enough.
Answered my own question when i looked up the specs on it and of course after came up its downfalls. But it did spawn its close relative the sonex.