What is an affordable ultralight?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Very cool, love that it’s a two-axis machine with a paramotor engine, the 4130 forward fuselage for crashworthiness and wood rear fuselage for ease and cost is a neat idea. My only nit to pick would be why mount the stab and elevator so close to the ground when taxiing? He’s going to need a taller, stiffer tail wheel spring.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
again on the affordable vein:
Peter Sripol knocks it out of the park with his latest two axis rig
Looks much better than the last one. Yes, Mk3 came in under the legal limit, but there was no getting around the fact it was under powered.

I'll echo Matt, the placement of the horizontal stabilizer has me scratching my head. There must be a reason, but it looks at first glance like it could have been on TOP of the fuselage just as easily. I'm also curious about the covering system. Oratex?

Michael Silvius

Very cool, love that it’s a two-axis machine with a paramotor engine, the 4130 forward fuselage for crashworthiness and wood rear fuselage for ease and cost is a neat idea. My only nit to pick would be why mount the stab and elevator so close to the ground when taxiing? He’s going to need a taller, stiffer tail wheel spring.
Yes the low hung horizontal stab surprised me too. I am thinking that should not be too hard to swap to the top.

Michael Silvius

Yes but that is without wings. It is a roadable potential airplane.

The wings should fold easily and quickly!
If I heard right he is planing on folding wings as he has lost the availability of his hangar and he needs to be able to trailer it home.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
CluttonFred
The Aeroplane XP by Mike Loehle is a better option because of the Elevator control.
I think you meant aileron control. And I think you meant Sport Parasol or SP, and your fingers just slipped. Loehle Sport Parasol - Wikipedia

Losing the ailerons simplifies the wings, both from a building complexity standpoint as well as structurally. AND the control system obviously gets simpler.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
If I heard right he is planing on folding wings as he has lost the availability of his hangar and he needs to be able to trailer it home.
I heard that he was planning REMOVABLE wings. FOLDING wings cost weight. I think he has gotten the weight control religion after the last plane that came in (if I understand correctly from watching his videos) 100 lbs over the original design weight (wanted 150 lbs, got 250 lbs, pretty awful on a percentage basis - please let me be clear I love what he's doing and he's getting a lot more DONE than I am). Same/same with 2 axis. That third axis costs weight, by increasing structural and control system complexity.

Michael Silvius

I heard that he was planning REMOVABLE wings. FOLDING wings cost weight. I think he has gotten the weight control religion after the last plane that came in (if I understand correctly from watching his videos) 100 lbs over the original design weight (wanted 150 lbs, got 250 lbs, pretty awful on a percentage basis - please let me be clear I love what he's doing and he's getting a lot more DONE than I am). Same/same with 2 axis. That third axis costs weight, by increasing structural and control system complexity.
Yes, you are right, he did say REMOVABLE. I had to go back and watch it again. And with no ailerons and associated hardware it makes wing removal/install way simpler too. I really like where he is headed with this one.
MS

Very nice looking aircraft, as far as I could tell, but I gave up on your website, it's horrible. Looks like you let your web designer go crazy with flash animations. You need a simple site where people can easily find information without waiting through all the cutesy effects.
I designed my own website using a Wordpress Template with zero experience (I'm sure it shows). It works for us perfectly. You should've seen it before I calmed it down, LOL.
BTW, If a couple scrambled menu headers and slides make you impatient, your airplane building patience will "tested" severely with any kit you choose. :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
BTW, If a couple scrambled menu headers and slides make you impatient, your airplane building patience will "tested" severely with any kit you choose. :)
Good point. The right combination of persistence and patience is (would be) a real asset when building an HBA.

BJC

Victor Bravo

I wish I could share some of my experiences trying to sell something to the GA community over the last eleven years, but truth be told I didn't listen to many of the people who wanted to share their experiences with me :oops: and none of it is appropriate on an E-AB forum anyway.

Bille Floyd

I wish I could share some of my experiences trying to sell something to the GA community over the last eleven years, but truth be told I didn't listen to many of the people who wanted to share their experiences with me :oops: and none of it is appropriate on an E-AB forum anyway.
What was that about ?

Bille

Last edited: