• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What Inspired You to Start Flying? (Ideas, People, Quotes, Movies, etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

Was just wondering. I volunteer at a local Civil Air Patrol mentoring high school aged kids. We've had couple discovery flights, demonstration flights which are free for the kids, cancelled from lack of interest. Now I don't know about you guys, but twelve year old me would have been climbing over the other kids to get that chance. We couldn't get enough interest to get the airplane to our field.

So I was just wondering what inspired you guys, people who obviously at least have something invested in aviation, to pursue an activity so wholly unnatural to human beings?

I'll write my answer later, but the biggest influence I had as a kid was actually the movie The Right Stuff. Watching the movie still gives me chills and I feel like it started me on the path of becoming a engineer and a pilot.

Back