Quantcast

what ignition systems are people using for VW engines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv6ejguy

I'm back posting on the forum after taking 365 days away from it.

We've supplied a few systems for VW engines over the last few years. You can see a few here: SDS EM-4: Aircraft. At this time, we only have the hand propping software for the EM-5 EFI/EI systems. No plans to incorporate into the CPI-2 which is designed primarily for Lycoming/ Continental engines. At some point, if demand was there and we had time (we don't right now), we might consider putting this into the CPI product. Until then, you'd need a starter or have to use an EM-5 ECU to have this capability.

I'm back posting on the forum after taking 365 days away from it.

We've supplied a few systems for VW engines over the last few years. You can see a few here: SDS EM-4: Aircraft. At this time, we only have the hand propping software for the EM-5 EFI/EI systems. No plans to incorporate into the CPI-2 which is designed primarily for Lycoming/ Continental engines. At some point, if demand was there and we had time (we don't right now), we might consider putting this into the CPI product. Until then, you'd need a starter or have to use an EM-5 ECU to have this capability.
Great to have you back! I like the flywheel pickup solution

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What if you are not using a flywheel ?

If no flywheel, you can use a setup similar to the Quickie in my link.
Both are good solutions if I add to my current engine I prefer the flywheel option. Only requires a small notch in the accessory case. I imagine the pickup could be mounted orthogonal to the flywheel and require only a hole to position the pickup as long as Dynamo flux does not cause grief. So many stable options. If I build a SSSC I would use the Quickie mount on a simple 1834CC hand prop engine! If you have time I recommend everyone listen to 1 hour 50 minutes Direct link
VW EFI podcast Episode 58 SonexFlight Podcast: All things Sonex!

Bullet Proof as it can be yet you can use a carb as the throttle body for back up.

Last edited:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
has it ever been done?
I've never seen one ..... but that doesn't mean much. One of the old vertical Briggs pull start might work. I haven't seen one in over 30 years and my memory was that they didn't work all that well on the Briggs because it didn't spin the motor as fast as the normal style pull start - but they were easier to pull.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Is there a way to use the Leburg system as a backup to a Slick magneto with single plug heads, or would you need dual plug heads for that?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
just out of curiosity and taking it back to basics, could you fit a recoil starter from a Briggs to a VW engine? has it ever been done?
I was thinking of asking the same question. Wish someone would do it, the VW is so easy to hand prop.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Nice to hear from you Ross.
Hot Wings, there was a Johnson outboard that had a similar recoil to that briggs one. Old engine, but there are still tons of them around. If someone was looking for a donor that was easy to source. The old 9.9/15 Evinrude and Johnson 2 strokes.