Quantcast

what ignition systems are people using for VW engines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hope this isn't too much off topic, could someone, short and sweet, tell me what the retarded #3 timing is for?
On the ground bound engine the #3 cylinder is behind the oil cooler in the fan housing and tends to run a little hotter than the other 3 cylinders. This got changed with the newer style aluminum oil cooler. Aircraft should have better cooling distribution - so no need to retard the timing on a single cylinder.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
On the ground bound engine the #3 cylinder is behind the oil cooler in the fan housing and tends to run a little hotter than the other 3 cylinders. This got changed with the newer style aluminum oil cooler. Aircraft should have better cooling distribution - so no need to retard the timing on a single cylinder.
And changed to the "dog house" style fan housing to direct the hot air from the exhaust side of the oil cooler to the outside.

The reason #3 usually had the burned exhaust valve before the others.

skelly

I have a dual Leburg ign on my KFM112 engine,
Apparently when starting the engine the timing goes to around 4 degrees retarded then once running it goes to its normal pre programmed advance curve.
It also varies the timing to achieve an even idle speed.
You can get the bits from here, Leburg Dual Ignition Kit for VW Aero

I have also heard that Ignitech units are now approved for aviation use, they can be found here, Ignition Modules
or here, Electronic for motorbikes - IgniTech Přelouč
I use an Ignitech on one of my racebikes and it has been superb.

Hope that is some help.

Cheers.
Skelly.

simflyer

simflyer

I like to know, if electronic ignition improves performance. Did anybody added second sparkplug to VW engine?
Very nice Bebe Jodel. I like to see it improved - newer 43013.5 airfoil used on D18-D20, chord 120cm, shorter fuse ...

I like to know, if electronic ignition improves performance. Did anybody added second sparkplug to VW engine?
Very nice Bebe Jodel. I like to see it improved - newer 43013.5 airfoil used on D18-D20, chord 120cm, shorter fuse ...
It does not improve ignition only adds some redundancy. The second plug location is not in the ideal turbulent squish area. The Stock Plug location is at the top of the dome.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
A friend of mine is building a D18 and recommends using the D18 wing for a potential D9 build, as the wing is easier to build than the original.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Interesting idea, but at that point why not just build the D18? I have never seen one with an open cockpit, that might be fun. Here's a quick mashup with a interchangeable "open cockpit" canopy inspired by a Tipsy B that you could switch out in nice weather.

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 8.43.49 AM.png

hangarrat101

My flying club has 5x Turbulents on the fleet, all with Leburg systems. They used to have Lucas SR4 magnetos, but were changed a number of years ago due to reliability issues and difficulties starting. The Leburg is great for easy starting and very reliable if looked after and operated properly. We've not had many problems with them, and most of those have been operator-induced.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hmmm...does the CPI do well with hand starting?

Answering my own question per the link above, "Please note, the CPI is not suitable for hand propped engines, you must have a starter."

Attachments

radfordc

It does not improve ignition only adds some redundancy. The second plug location is not in the ideal turbulent squish area. The Stock Plug location is at the top of the dome.
When I was flying my Sonex I noted something interesting about the Aerovee engine. It uses dual sparkplugs...primary with mags and secondary with electronic ignition. In cruise flight if I turned off the electronic ignition the CHTs would drop about 10-15 degrees running on just the mags.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Ross, from SDS, has helped at least one customer with a hand-prop application. It was for a Continental GPU, but the capability should be applicable to a VW, too. See this thread:
Continental 4A084 SDS EFI Installation
I would like to see this feature in his CPI-2 product, myself.

Reactions: 103