Quantcast

what ignition systems are people using for VW engines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter

That's definitely a much better buy! My understanding is that the 4220 has a fixed timing, and is appropriate for installations using a starter. The 4316 is the better choice if hand propping is desired. Is that correct?
It is only a 15 Degree implse vs 18-20 on the 4316. There are some details out there how this may be adjusted. Possibly Todd can point to a page on the mod or describe it!

Marc W

I am using the Slick 4220 mounted on a Diehl accessory case. I recently replaced it. It is not machined. Scott Casler built my engine. He must have machined the Diehl accessory case to accept the stock 4220.

The impulse coupling in the 4220 can be modified to increase the lag. I am going to give it a try one of these days.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I read somewhere about modifying the impulse to increase the lag on the 4220.

PTAirco

If I was to build a VW I'd use a dual battery, stock distributor modified with dual hall effect pickups (such as Pertronix), two coils and a coil switch (available from many racing parts suppliers). I see no real benefit to dual spark plugs in an engine like this, they are the least likely component to fail. So you have redundancy right up to the plugs. If you can take the weight, add a small alternator.

I have the Pertronix ignition in my 63 GMC truck and I haven't touched the distributor for over 15 years. That qualifies as reliable in my book.

If I was to build a VW I'd use a dual battery, stock distributor modified with dual hall effect pickups (such as Pertronix), two coils and a coil switch (available from many racing parts suppliers). I see no real benefit to dual spark plugs in an engine like this, they are the least likely component to fail. So you have redundancy right up to the plugs. If you can take the weight, add a small alternator.

I have the Pertronix ignition in my 63 GMC truck and I haven't touched the distributor for over 15 years. That qualifies as reliable in my book.
I am in your camp only I would use points for one side and electronic for the other.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yes, Points fail at a slow rate. Not electronics.

Yes, Points fail at a slow rate. Not electronics.
Yes a gentle warning is provided by points for the primary. Wear free secondary could be electronic
What we need is a lobe sensing secondary small enough to fit in opposite the points. I think a magnetic prox and a HEI module could be used REF Scroll down 65-70%

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Here could see how to use electronic ignition, but Leburg is probably not longer available
Fortunately, it looks like Skycraft has picked up the product, and has it available. Digging around from the link in post #4:
Leburg
It looks like a pretty good system!

Fortunately, it looks like Skycraft has picked up the product, and has it available. Digging around from the link in post #4:
Leburg
It looks like a pretty good system!
That is good news it is a premium electronic stystem set up for hand proping with ease. I hope they took over the manufacture rights as well.

Daleandee

Sounds very similar to the WW Corvair dual ignition, single plug set up I have on mine that uses an MSD coil selector. The distributor has one of the Crane XR-I Electronic Ignition pick ups and a set of points (other versions can have dual points or dual pickups). I use two of the genuine Bosch blue coils and Iridium spark plugs. Been rock solid for eight years.