Quantcast

what ignition systems are people using for VW engines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slick 4316 on my Mosler half VW (with two poles shorted out).

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Slick 4316 on 4 cylinder engines. Slick shielded harness and 14 mm aviation spark plugs . Getting pricey now.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
I have a single Slick 4316 with Champion REL37B plugs. This engine has nearly 500 hours on it without any problems.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have a single Slick 4316 with Champion REL37B plugs. This engine has nearly 500 hours on it without any problems.
I also use the Champion REL37B plugs.
My engine starts on the first blade at least 95 % of the time. Couldn't get any easier to hand prop.

I Cherish 20+ years with Bob Hoover. Below is a comment I sent him in 2009 the video is still active and makes me want to downsize my battery and remove the starter...

Bob,

Look how easy to hand prop Just like you have always said. Most likely
a distributor ignition. Big GRIN is priceless.

Matt

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That is how easy a VW starts.

Daleandee

I actually think the Aerovee use of the Briggs and Stratton magnetrons isn't a bad idea. Of course their use doesn't give any timing advance which is OK with an electric starter. The other concern is that it takes quite a bit of RPM to make the B&S ignitions fire. That was one of the reasons they added the Harley Davidson ignition as a secondary. But that one doesn't advance either and requires power to run.

My friend's Legal Eagle uses a Slick mag but I have no idea what the number is. I know that it's extremely easy to hand prop. After prime it's usually one flip from behind the prop.

At minute 2:35 a LE pilot demonstrate a bleed down ignition which could be scaled to a 4 cylinder with two two cylinders RC aircraft ignition. Everyone of them will warn you not to use on a man carrying aircraft so intend to carry women with it and don't tell them :) Might make a great secondary!

flitzerpilot

I agree totally with PTAirco. The Leburg system on my 1834cc powered Flitzer Z-1 ensures easy starting every time and no vigorous swinging is necessary.

Combined with an Ellison EFS-2 slide carburettor, which can be throttled up with no hesitation, take-off is rapid and short.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
when i think of the grief I had starting the 1834 on a VP with a Vertex....if you got the priming exactly right,it might grace you with a start on the second swing. If not,you had to treat it as if it had flooded and "suck out" for 16 blades,then reprime and go again. It often refused to start when hot so you had to wait until it cooled down or,perversely, it would fire on the first blade when hot.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
On my 1835 cc VW engine, I have a primer that goes to the intake on top of each cylinder and the Zenith carb has a manual choke.
Above 32 degrees= pull choke out all the way, mag off , fuel on, turn prop over 6 blades, set choke to 1/8" out, throttle 1/8" out, mag hot, flip prop and its running. Choke off as it warms up.
Hot start= make mag hot and flip prop.
Cold start below 32 degrees= One full shot of prime, mag off, turn prop 6 blades, pull choke out 1/2", throttle 1/8" out, mag hot, flip prop, Reduce choke as engine warms up.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Look how easy to hand prop Just like you have always said. Most likely
a distributor ignition. Big GRIN is priceless.
And the airplane's not bad, either! ;-) That's G-BMMF, active for almost 30 years and now resting comfortably in the South Wales Aviation Museum.

48989941091_dfdb344bea_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 103

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I cringe at the current price of a 4316 mag and harness! It could wind up being the single most expensive component of a simple, VW-powered aircraft. It makes electronic systems like the Leburg even more attractive.