• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What I Learned About My Zenith 701

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockiedog2

I've had a number of requests for info on the Zenith 701 and have been hesitant for a number of reasons. I've posted my findings at length on the old Yahoo group(now defunct) and the ZAC company sponsored forum but that info isn't available to HBAers (as VB stated)...to access you have to have a builder number. To my knowledge there hasn't been a comprehensive thread on the plane on HBA so I decided to go with it(at the risk of sounding like a broken record to those of us who are also on the ZAC 701 forum...you guys just don't click on it). I've found that there's a lot to know about the plane and it will take me some time(installments) to work my way thru it.
I think a lot of the folks at ZAC and nothing I say is meant to be critical of them or their design; they're right up there with Van's in terms of successful kit producers. There are hundreds of these things that have been running around for decades under the worst kind of conditions; jungles, deserts, mudholes, mountains; you name it and they are doing a fine job with minimum maintenance. Most of those planes are built strictly to plans...they're tough and don't ask for pampering. Great little planes...unless you're in a hurry. LOL.
The 701 appeals to folks of widely varying experience and aptitude...the low experience guys in particular seem to be drawn to it(logically) and that often shows up in the discussions on the forum(and flight test results and conclusions drawn). That's not a criticism but just a characteristic of the 701 community. We're all here to learn(or should be) but there seems to be more emotion among the 701 guys than we normally expect...some of em get as worked up as a school girl (mostly about their slats). LOL. Comments and questions are encouraged but I don't want this to turn into a food fight about the slats or anything else for that matter; it's happened. Notice I named the thread "What I Learned About My Zenith 701"...you other 701 guys please keep that in mind if you comment(please do); you maybe learned different about yours(or think you did:gig:) but this is about mine. Let's keep it fun. Thanks.
I always liked STOL even way back when I was first trying to learn to fly in the 60s. I'd go out to duster strips and try to get (whatever small taildragger I was flying at the time) in the strip. Usually I missed it and had to do around. But I liked trying and later got pretty good at it. The 701 looked like it would scratch that itch and I also had in mind teaching my kids STOL in it (as well as just knocking around). So when I retired I called up ZAC and ordered the whole thing; airframe, motor, everything but the paint and gages. Drove up there and picked it up fall 04 and hauled it home and opened the crate up...like a kid on Christmas morning.
More later.

Back