What HBA Members are Accomplishing - 2011 Archives

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Jman, Jan 26, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 26, 2011 #61

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Re: February 2011 - Tell us what you've done this month!

Mainly fiddled around with my "center section" and the loads on it, the part in my design that sees all forces (wing, landing gear and seat attachment). Played with Scan and Solve to check whether that's a viable way to analyze it. Not really, doesn't do orthotropic materials and doesn't to statically indeterminate parts.

By doing so, I also got rid of several components and managed to design them as only two parts that incorporates all attachment points for the controls, seats, luggage part and landing gear/wing attachment. I also finally designed seats (composites) that reliably collapse in a crash, without nasty side-effects or exorbitant risks.

2. Feb 26, 2011 #62

RJW

RJW

RJW

I built the fuse jig and former bucks for my two-seat, V8 design.

Jig 2.jpg

Bought enough 2024 to build the fuse, tail, and most of the center section of the wing. Wasted time obsessing on metal RF-4 design. And I shoveled a lot of snow.

Rob

3. Feb 26, 2011 #63

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

A (very) little refinement of requirements definition for the motorglider. Nothing on the sailplane. 'Tis the season for catalog projects, and I'm buried in them at work right now. Yay! :gig:

4. Feb 26, 2011 #64

142yx

142yx

142yx

[​IMG]

I learned to Paraglide!

5. Feb 26, 2011 #65

skier

skier

skier

Finally started to get back into the mood to get a design going; I got really overwhelmed last time looking at how big of a project it is going to be. Started an Octave (open source version of MATLAB) file to aid in my design.

6. Feb 26, 2011 #66

mcmurphy

mcmurphy

mcmurphy

I finished hammering out all of my ribs for the wings of my Thatcher CX4. I was surprised when they came out looking like they were supposed to.:ban: Started attaching the ribs to the right wing spar and found out that I didn't have enough clecos, so I went to Ebay and bought some more. Cut a sheet of .020 6061 T6 into the pieces need to cover the wings. I also spent a lot of time deciphering the plans while my garage heated up. In March I hope to have both wings assembled, either that or I will be buying more aluminum to fix my mistakes.:think:

I forgot to mention- I got a hangar to keep my airplane in. As soon as the snow melts I'll be able to get into it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. Feb 28, 2011 #67

teknosmurf

teknosmurf

teknosmurf

Decided it was finally time to address some of the oil leaks so I don't keep dusting PHX with Aerosheel 100W. I may have actually had some success ( :ban: ), but time will tell.

Started thinking about the smoke system again...have had it designed and built for some time but not installed yet because I wanted to fix my existing oil leaks before I intentionally create new ones ;)

As far as PortableFuelSystems, I got the control circutry designed, software done, and got successful runs on the alcohol separator! I even went flying on that gas (let me tell you...having the automated ethanol removal makes the flying that much sweeter :) ). Started working to get the unit "consumer ready".

stuart fields likes this.
  8. Feb 28, 2011 #68

Yogi

Yogi

Yogi

Getting the 'List' whittled down to mowing and auto maintenance. Painted hall, dining room and kitchen. Working on painting living room, then the painting is over. Changed all electric switches and outlets throughout the house. Added more lighting to the shop. Made list to order spar matl'l. Had 4 more solo flights toward my Glider Add-on. Thats about it. Should be getting back to progress on Fauvel in mid March. Yogi

9. Mar 1, 2011 #69

Radicaldude1234

Radicaldude1234

Radicaldude1234

Well, not much aircraft designing on my end; been so busy with school. I am, though, still studying for my PPL practical exam, which I hope to take in the middle or end of March, so I'm pretty excited about that.

10. Mar 1, 2011 #70

cryan

cryan

cryan

Started taking tailwheel training in a citabria and also got to be introduced into acrobatics. Watching the sight picture on video is nothing to experiencing aileron rolls and loops first hand!

11. Jun 26, 2011 #71

orion

orion

orion

Race plane wings nearing completion. Here shown in a protective coat of white Gelcoat shortly before mating with fuselage.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.