What HBA Members are Accomplishing - 2011 Archives

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Jman, Jan 26, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 31, 2011 #41

rheuschele

rheuschele

rheuschele

Re: January 2011 - Tell us what you've done this month!

I've been working on my rudder in the basement since the garage is no place for gluing until spring. Once that's done I'm afraid that I will out grow my side of the garage. I'm toying with the idea of buying a ranch house that is a foreclosure and very unlivable to gut and finish building. It will cost me about 20% of buying a hanger and the payments will be half of renting a hanger.
    Just a thought.
    Ron

2. Feb 1, 2011 #42

Monty

Monty

Monty

SWEET!!! I know the feeling...one of the high points for me so far. Flying formation with eagles in the winter time. They joined up with me and the coolest thing is they made eye contact. The same way dogs look at you instead of the headlights of the car you are driving. They know YOU are flying the airplane. Having them core the thermal, and look back over their wing at me, daring me to follow....I've got goose bumps just thinking about it....congrats. I don't know the percentage of the human race to experience such a thing....but it's a fairly small club.

3. Feb 1, 2011 #43

Yogi

Yogi

Yogi

Some pics, maybe.

Attached Files:

4. Feb 2, 2011 #44

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

Mounted kitchen cabinets, selected countertop stone, plumbed and installed new range and range hood, mounted handles on drawers and doors, and picked up the new patio sliding door.

Oh, and for the airplane project, I ordered and received Dow-Corning primer and fluro-silicone fuel tank sealant (as well as some miscellaneous hardware) and confirmed with an expert in fuel handling materials that my nylon vent hose will not fall apart in the presence of gasohol, but I will have to do things that will keep it captured if it swells. It seems that the big problem is alcohols pickup moisture and that can be corrosive.

I am also modifying my anti-slosh doors to include a tab for exercising it. My concern is that if it gets sealant on it, I will neither be able to pop it open nor confirm it is working by direct observation. But with a hole in the end rib, I can reach in with a wire hook, grab the tab with a hook on the end of a coathanger wire and work the door. The hole will take a pipe plug to seal it up. I started that little project last Friday, and I got the parts to the drill press before the kitchen rehab commenced. Yeah, I did not even get 12 little holes drilled before other stuff took over. Ah well, the house will be back together soon.

Talked about Sun-n-Fun, but probably not this year...

Billski

5. Feb 2, 2011 #45

etterre

etterre

etterre

Studied for an IT security exam, so I can pass the exam and get a new job. When I get the new job, that triggers the wife's promise of money for flight lessons to finish my PPL. Once I have the PPL, then I can finally take the wife up for some cross-countries to gather the data necessary to figure what exactly I'm going to build

If I say it real fast a bunch of times, maybe I'll feel better about my total lack of progress:)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. Feb 2, 2011 #46

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Gents, this is pure poetry. I emailed these to my family. Beautiful stuff. Thanks.
    Gary

7. Feb 3, 2011 #47

Radicaldude1234

Radicaldude1234

Radicaldude1234

Darn, I'm late...

Well, during last month I got my cross country endorsement and flew said cross country, which was my last requirement for PPL; I'm hoping to take the test by the end of this month.

Homebuilt-wise, I've been mainly reading books on aircraft stability and powerplant design. So not much design work going on. Hope to change that when the knowledge I'm trying to gain sinks in.

Otherwise, taking university engineering classes that somewhat pertain to aircraft design, particularly stress analysis, which I find pretty fascinating. Will probably dive into vibration stuff once I get the stress stuff.

Till next month (or later this month),

RD

8. Feb 3, 2011 #48

Monty

Monty

Monty

be careful!....that's the deep end of the pool, but it's filled with rocks and shoals and the waves are unpredictable...;)

9. Feb 3, 2011 #49

Monty

Monty

Monty

Words can't do it justice....I wish I had video to share. It really is a fantastic thing to be that close to them in their own element. It is THEIR element. No way I could climb as well as they could, nor could I core the thermal like them. They started below me and climbed up inside of me. The fun thing was they flew to me, knowing I was in a thermal and then out climbed me. We played around for an hour or so. They would fly off and then rejoin me in a thermal. They were obviously just having fun...like me.....;-).

10. Feb 5, 2011 #50

Steve Madsen

Steve Madsen

Steve Madsen

IMG_0425.jpg securedownload (2).jpg

I opened up my type 4 PTO direct drive from my new to me Dragonfly project to check that what was said was really in there. Turned out great. Soon to reassemble. I also made another airplane deal. Going to see that one next weekend in Ohio. Flys now, no project.

11. Feb 13, 2011 #51

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Ok folks, I'll be closing this January thread in about 48 hours and making it the start of a 2011 archive of what our members are accomplishing.

If you worked toward your aviation goals in January, this is your last chance to post it. Don't be shy! I know I'm not the only one who wants to know what our members are achieving. Even if it's something small, if it got you closer to your aviation goals, let's hear about it.
    :ban: (banana added for no particular reason)

12. Feb 13, 2011 #52

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

We have 1 meter of snow and -30 C..just planning and trying to keep a job ( which has nothing to do with aviation ). No major leap forward in realizing my aviation dream in near future.

13. Feb 17, 2011 #53

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target

I've done so much - just starting from this summer I designed and helped build an aircraft cockpit from top to bottom, I cancelled a contract with someone to design their aircraft immediately after because I felt like it was a bad idea, I made some more progress on my design, leaving it at a stage where I'm happy with it for now, and now I really came to grips with a lot of concepts of aero design, from the complex to the basic. This year so far has already been shaping up to be busy. Heck, this day has been busy. :D

14. Feb 25, 2011 #54

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

February 2011 - Tell us what you've done this month!

It's that time of the month again where we get to hear what HBA members have been up to. I've archived January's thread and once this one is complete I'll archive it into the 2011 archives as well.

I've quoted the original thread's explanation below as a reminder of what this thread is all about. January was great but lets get even more participation for February!

15. Feb 25, 2011 #55

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Re: February 2011 - Tell us what you've done this month!

No flying, building, or even designing... but I just acquired a Rotax 447 to replace the Cuyuna on my UltraStar. Goals are less noise (slower turning 3 blade prop vs 2 blade) better climb (5HP more).

-Dana

Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women should have to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

16. Feb 25, 2011 #56

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

Did my FAR 61.58 at Simcom (BE40), turned 50 YO, rewired a relay that's part of my engine wiring harness that I had miswired. Discovered both OEM fuel rails had minor leaks.
    Rather than jury rig them any further I replaced them with new rails ($$$). Naturally my fuel injectors don't fit the new rails. Got six more injectors ($$$). Naturally the original grommets don't fit those. Ordered more. Got my fan painted and began static balancing, it's going to require over 100 grams. Almost finished a wooden mock up of a potential flight control mixer linkage. Although more compact than the series of bell cranks I had in mind it would be difficult to fabricate without custom machining. Found a seat that is 3 lbs lighter than the one I had planned to use, which is good since I gained 2 more lbs. Experimented with steaming and bending wood in preparation for starting an airframe. Discovered I'll be using thinner pieces than I had thought. Got most of the steel tubing I'll use for the main gear along with the axles.

17. Feb 26, 2011 #57

stol

stol

stol

My 801 is due for the conditional next month but gonna do it now. My order of 304 stainless tubing came in today so the plane gets a new custom exhaust system and this time I am leaving out the mufflers, adding a port for a smoke system and another one for the crankcase vacuum evacuation set up...

Ben
    www.haaspowerair.com

18. Feb 26, 2011 #58

Richard6

Richard6

Richard6

Completed my study and simulated FAA test (with passing grade) for Sport Pilot license.

Richard

19. Feb 26, 2011 #59

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Getting my groove back. Landings becoming more consistent.
    Percy in SE Bama

20. Feb 26, 2011 #60

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Planning and shopping for tools for the Bearhawk build. Set up my cross country solo with my CFI to coincide with an EAA metal workshop 200 miles away on March 19th. Found out that my wife expects me to attend a wedding on March 19th. Guess who won THAT argument.
    Reading, studying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.