What happened to the Ultravair?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Check out SDS in Canada: they will work with you to make it right. Also, consider using their efi system to avoid having two carbs that you’ll have to keep synchronized, or one carb with long, inefficient induction tubes.

fab52403

A nasty divorce prevented me from continuing the UltraVair. Also the unwelcome response I got from 1/2 VW vendors when I flew it at Oshkosh on a Legal Eagle made me understand competition wasn't welcome. The thread about the O-100 reminds me of all the negativity I received. William Wynne was very supportive though. I'm glad it didn't die completey.
Fletcher

addicted2climbing

Ed Fischer had a 1/3rd corvair mounted on his raceair Skylite but unsure if they ever flew it that way. I think the project was petering out at that time. Bummer to hear the 1/2VW guys influenced your decision to stop. As for the O-100 yes there are a few guys giving bad press but understandable since this engine has had ups and down cycles. Im unsure where it will go but will do my best to see it through.

fab52403

Don't give up. Franklin had a 2 cyl engine. I went to test fly an Aeronca Champ with one, but decided not to fly it when I taxied out, it shook bad. It used a short prop with wide blades. Later, testing the UltraVair I understood why. The longer the prop the more a 2 cyl shakes. At best it acelerates the prop for 180°, then it decelerates as it brings the next piston up on compression. The longer the prop, the more you feel it. The UltraVair couldn't tolerate a prop over 54" in length. Also the farther fwd the prop was, the more it aggravated the rock coupling. William Wynne tried his 6" prop hub on my engine and it was horrible. The "5th" bearing might cause this too by moving the hub out.
Just my observations, not saying these things can't be worked out.
Fletcher

Flyguyeddy

Supporting Member
Don't give up. Franklin had a 2 cyl engine. I went to test fly an Aeronca Champ with one, but decided not to fly it when I taxied out, it shook bad. It used a short prop with wide blades. Later, testing the UltraVair I understood why. The longer the prop the more a 2 cyl shakes. At best it acelerates the prop for 180°, then it decelerates as it brings the next piston up on compression. The longer the prop, the more you feel it. The UltraVair couldn't tolerate a prop over 54" in length. Also the farther fwd the prop was, the more it aggravated the rock coupling. William Wynne tried his 6" prop hub on my engine and it was horrible. The "5th" bearing might cause this too by moving the hub out.
Just my observations, not saying these things can't be worked out.
Fletcher

Are you fletcher burns?

fab52403

Limiting the prop to 54 inches and keeping the prop hub as short as possible solved everything. It was smooth and responsive at any rpm. When I went to a single Zenith updraft carb I lost a little power, but a 2 into 1 exhaust got it back.
But an ex with a lawyer demanded half of UltraVair. I honestly wasn't breaking even with it at that point, so half of theoretical sales put me out of business. Even if I found someone to take it over I couldn't accept royalties for each manual sold. I have given a lot of them away for free and have a pdf I've shared freely.
Lawyers...

Nope. Juries.
BJC
Good to see you are still on line after your little storm! :eek:

Nope, it isn't the juries either. It's us - at least the lazy and greedy ones of our species. The juries are just the tool used by the enablers, called lawyers and judges.
After something like 5000 years of laws and courts we should have worked this all out a little better? Imagine if the state of the art for all things flying if they had advance at the same rate .........

"Hey Wilbur, what do you think about putting the up and down flappy thing on the back? I'm tired of rebuilding it every few years. Maybe it wouldn't get so beat up if we put it in back?"
"Naw, you remember we tried that 30 years ago? Without being able to see the angle we had that little problem with sudden dives.........never did figure that out."

BJC

Supporting Member
Good to see you are still on line after your little storm! :eek:

Nope, it isn't the juries either. It's us - at least the lazy and greedy ones of our species.
Thanks. We came through without damage.

I remember a law suit, circa 1965, against a bunch of defendants in a case where a high school football player suffered a broken neck and was paralyzed. The jury awarded him about $7,000,000 (that was a large amount back then) from one of the defendants; the helmet manufacturer. The jury foreman was asked why, since the testimony had shown that the helmet was not the cause of the injury. His reply was that what had happened to the football player was a tragedy, and the helmet manufacturer had insurance, so the jury decided to make them pay, even though they were not responsible for the injury.

BJC

Flyguyeddy

Supporting Member
Limiting the prop to 54 inches and keeping the prop hub as short as possible solved everything. It was smooth and responsive at any rpm. When I went to a single Zenith updraft carb I lost a little power, but a 2 into 1 exhaust got it back.
But an ex with a lawyer demanded half of UltraVair. I honestly wasn't breaking even with it at that point, so half of theoretical sales put me out of business. Even if I found someone to take it over I couldn't accept royalties for each manual sold. I have given a lot of them away for free and have a pdf I've shared freely.
Lawyers...

So no stroke then? This is what the rumor mill had been saying on yahoo groups maybe? Maybe it was the legal eagle forum i dont remember.

Where did your sonerai end up?