What happened to the Ultravair?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
I am actually starting one here next week or so. I will post progress pictures here. When I make the Aluminum prop hub I cut a alternator pulley on it and use a john Deer alternator (really a dynamo) and it works fine.
Are you able to cut the thrust bearing surface on the case? My machine isnt small enough to make those cuts. I wish a "3rd" bearing was easy to make, id just use a thrust bearing up front.

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
Well its too bad this didn't come true, never thought about the ultravair mated to the skylite, would probably make a nice ultralite.
Both parties are here on HBA, hope that they can work something out!

Might as well go ahead and squirt a little Nitrous for a little extra kick when necessary.

Addicted to climbing has the rights to the Skylite I believe and Skyguynca the Ultravair.

Maybe they can work it out!
Yep I do for the ultravair, always open to conversation

I have the plans for the skylite around here somewhere. Got them when it was first offered....long time ago, I think it was from Ed Fisher

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
Me, I want to do something new with it.
A new biplane design, want a part 103 biplane, since the old ones have disapeared gonna make a new one with modern materials and hopefully inexpensively

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
I wish someone made a crankshaft like the 3300 corvairs have for this engine. already counterweighted and fitted for magneto.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
The cushman 222 is less hp, 18 to 22hp. The cushman 222 weighs 90lbs ready to fly.
Yes the 1/3 corvair is more work, but depending on cylinders and head choices, it can be from 28hp stock to 35hp. With the right cylinders only 72lbs, but nikasil cylinders are not cheap. With big bore vw cylinders 76lbs.

How do I know? I am the guy who got the rights from Fletcher Burns. So realistically while I did not come up with the conversion, it is mine and has been for several years, 11 I believe.

For the past few years I was giving the plans away on the Ultravair Yahoo Group....well yahoo shut down the groups........

If you would like the plans, PM me.

David M.
San Jose, CA
Hey David.

A few months ago I bought Manual Serial#23 from our very own Matthew Long. Are there any updates or supplements needed since that copy was initially realized?

thanks.

Terry

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
Hey David.

A few months ago I bought Manual Serial#23 from our very own Matthew Long. Are there any updates or supplements needed since that copy was initially realized?

thanks.

Terry
I am looking thru the records and I do not see a Matthew Long, could have been before I took it over.
I would have to actually see the copy you recieved to see if there were any changes after that.
There will be an updated manual with instructions for more cc using VW cylinders and results of tests with different heads and fuel injection mod.

David

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
I also wanted to post the email that turns everything over to me from Fletcher Burns. Just to make sure that there are not people out there selling the ultravair manual illegally or giving it away. When they don't really have the rights to do so.

David

fletcher turn over email.jpg

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I am looking thru the records and I do not see a Matthew Long, could have been before I took it over.
I would have to actually see the copy you recieved to see if there were any changes after that.
There will be an updated manual with instructions for more cc using VW cylinders and results of tests with different heads and fuel injection mod.

David
Ok.

I will probably buy a new copy when it’s available.

thank you.

Terry

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
Im using heads that are listed in william wynnes manual, but worked on for me by a guy who does a lot of corvair heads. I believe mine are the 95hp heads, i may switch to 110 heads for a little more compression. My goal is to have an oil cooler set up like the full size aviation engines and a small alternator made from a brushless electric motor.

reo12

Are the 6 cyl Corvair cases, heads, camshafts, and cranks so common and so cheap that it makes sense to cut them up to make a 2 or 4 cyl engine?
There are differences in the Corvair engines depending on year. Some are better than others. I developed the Ultravair conversion because Zoom Campbell published in his magazine - US Aviator - that a VW broke it's crank and had the prop separate from the aircraft. I knew the Corvair crank was used in factory applications producing 120hp and with nitriding - 180hp. The heads had the capability to reject the additional heat produced by that horsepower production. Note - there is some issues with this due to the limited fin spacing.

TLAR

Banned
Some on dismiss the idea of Methanol injection but I still cling to the idea. Maybe just burn a high octane ethanol.
That’s my plan and I’m sticking to it, unless something greater comes along
Nitrous injection is effective at any rpm, used sparingly, the Ultravair will make a fine little engine

TLAR

Banned
I don’t know how much time David has on his hands but he is in a good position to go ahead and develop a four cylinder corvair engine as well

TLAR

Banned
I just love it when he mentions “modern materials” and “fuel injection “

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
I don’t know how much time David has on his hands but he is in a good position to go ahead and develop a four cylinder corvair engine as well
The problem with a 4 banger would be getting a camshaft. It would make an excellent engine tho

reo12

I also wanted to post the email that turns everything over to me from Fletcher Burns. Just to make sure that there are not people out there selling the ultravair manual illegally or giving it away. When they don't really have the rights to do so.

David

View attachment 113111
All Fletcher gave you is what he has right to. The original name, conceptual art were mine. The 1/3 Corvair concept was mine. I chose not to file suit to defend the ownership of my art. I released it to the public.

I tooled up for production and mentioned it on a yahoo group. Fletcher asked what it was that I was doing. I told him thinking he was going to be a customer - not thinking that he would steal my idea and the name claiming they were his original art. They are not. I have maintained this from day one. There were witnesses that could verify when I first showed a cut case at a club meeting. My note on the yahoo group that lead to Fletcher contacting me was verifiable until the loss of the yahoo data base.

What the engine concept evolved into is what ever the individual wants to make it. There was much that was discussed on open groups without secrecy. Take a good look at a 1/2 VW and that presents many basic concepts for how some aspects can be done.

There is always a different way to do some parts. As I told Fletcher - either end of the engine can be used.

I was not going to be limited to using VW cylinders. I bought a lathe with a 9.5" spindle bore so that cylinders could be made from thick wall tube and then sleeved. I bought a 3-D printer (BPM) decades before they were commonplace so that I could make foundry patterns for lost wax process. I had sufficient machines that I could have machines for dedicated setup's. I walked away not realizing that Fletcher wouldn't really do anything with the engine. One of many mistakes I've made in my lifetime.