What happened to the Ultravair?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Daleandee

The heads are better than the VW
How much machine work would it take (if it's even possible ... I haven't looked) to cut the Corvair heads down and make them fit a VW? I'm sure there's no way to do that or someone would have by now.

Daleandee

Head stud patern on the Corvair is 80mm x 84mm. The VW is 75 x 81.
Thanks for that. I know that the 3.0 Corvair conversions use VW cylinders but they have to have mods done to the holes to make the alignment work. I never bothered to look at the heads to see what the difference was.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Are the 6 cyl Corvair cases, heads, camshafts, and cranks so common and so cheap that it makes sense to cut them up to make a 2 or 4 cyl engine?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The big Corvair is 3300 cc. 4 cylinders is 2/3 or 2200 cc. So it would make the same hp as a 2180 cc VW.
Right. And they are still making brand new parts for the VW Type 1, no need to cut anything if you want 75 HP. Still, apparently the idea of cutting up Corvair cases and heads has fans for various reasons. I'm just wondering if getting old parts to modify is easy and cheap.

Flyguyeddy

I just picked up 4 engines for $450. One of which will be used for a sonex, one sold as a core to recoup some cost, and one of the others will be used for a 2 cylinder

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I picked up two cores a few months ago for $500 but they came with nearly $2k worth of new parts. It's not hard to find useable core for less than $250 each. I'll soon have enough parts to build up a 3.0 and then wil need to figure out which airframe to bolt it on.

Daleandee

Corvair cores are plentiful enough. I found a core engine (1964 long stroke) on Craig's list. The guy had the engine and tranny for $300 but I didn't need the trans and just bought the engine at a reduced cost. I honestly forget what I gave him for it but it was somewhere around the $150 mark.

GM made 1.8 million Corvairs: US Production

They do make a fine airplane engine ... but I am biased.

wanttobuild

MarkW
How are your projects doing?
I havent been on hba in a while.

Is the four banger corvair a worthwhile project?

I recently noticed the briggs v twin making up to 48hp. efi, electronic throttle control. Offering a 1 5/16in splinded output shaft . no mods necessary other than air filter. well it needs a redrive. I am speaking of the marine offering, advertised as 40hp.