Quantcast

What happened to the Ultravair?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

catalysth2o

So does anyone know what happened to the 1/3 Corvair Ultravair conversion? I was wanting to put together an Ultracruiser and thought it would be a good alternative to the 1/2 VW, and now I can't find anything on the internet about it. I remember reading about it and being on their website about 2 years ago. Any ideas about that, opinons on the engine itself?

750Bldr

Here is an excerpt from William Wynne's website.
January 2008 At The www.FlyCorvair.com Hangar

"we've made arrangements with our friend Fletcher Burns, designer of the 1/3 Corvair conversion, to further develop and market the Ultravair Engine. Fletcher's real forte is development, but marketing, like many highly skilled technical guys, never really was his bag. We're bringing his egnine mated to Ed Fisher's 1991 Oshkosh Grand Champion Skylite to Sun 'N Fun this year. At that point, we'll reintroduce an expanded version of Fletcher's Manual that will include all we learned by mating it to the Skylite and flight testing it."

Ivan

There is virtually nothing on the net for the Ultravair. I don't think it's dead, so much as the early adopters are slowly working on the first small group of completed engines. Most of the collected experience so far is tucked away on the Ultravair2 Yahoo group:

ultravair2 : UltraVair2

And here are some inspiring videos of one of the few completed engines flying (on an Airbike):

YouTube - KHP3333's Channel

Ivan

travis1990

If you want an alternative to the 1/2 VW just use an OMC Cushman 222. Search the forums for the discussion. It's A LOT easier to convert and a bit lighter than the 1/2 VW. Check Ebay from time to time.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Yes.....it's an old thread but has the Ultra Vair been orphaned?

I bought an original Conversion Manual from our very own Cluttonfred a while back and have been working on cleaning up a couple of Corvair cores here at my Tempe compound while teaching online and waiting for the world to stabilize.

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
Apparently i cant post the link to the group but its called ultravair builders and fliers

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I'm not a subscriber to Facebook at this time but someday that might all change.

I cleaned up one head assembly and it looked pretty good as long as you don't consider the middle cylinder......its been destroyed by corrosion but the outer two cylinders appear to be ok. I'll finish cleaning and inspecting in a few days. I'll post pictures to share what I found.

Has anyone considered making a 1/2 Corvair conversion with 3 cylinders in an upright, vertical position? I'm trying to wrap my head around that idea to determine if it's feasible without the need of a new crank, cam, and major ignition changes. Any good suggestions or ideas?

Daleandee

I'm not a subscriber to Facebook at this time but someday that might all change.
I'm not a facebooker and never plan to be.

Has anyone considered making a 1/2 Corvair conversion with 3 cylinders in an upright, vertical position? I'm trying to wrap my head around that idea to determine if it's feasible without the need of a new crank, cam, and major ignition changes. Any good suggestions or ideas?
It has been done and a few years ago I found a couple of photos on the net but cannot find them now. Personally I think the idea doesn't get you much. Three cylinders would require the use of the crank and cam (cam only has 9 lobes - 6 intake and three shared exhaust) so the weight saving would be one head, three jugs with pistons and rods, you have to figure out what to do with the used space on the crank journal and if you're gonna set the cylinders in an up right position then there is a change to the oil pick up pan and associated headaches. Better, lighter, and more available engines in that configuration are currently available. But as a project it might be fun to tinker with ...

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Definitely would take some creative ideas to get the lubrication system resolved. Probably could use a motorcycle side draft carb for fuel metering. Still, it isn't a 50% weight savings. No 5th bearing needed......like you said...it might just be a fun project and maybe you could get more than 50hp.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
After cleaning up both heads I found corrosion on both. Looks like there is enough good to make a 1/3rd Corvair but certainly can't build a full 6 cylinder. Luckily I do have a few more heads and cores for a couple of flight engines.

Attachments

TFF

I tried to take apart one of my Olds 215s and the rings had rust welded themselves into the sleeves. Total junk except the 4 bbl manifold and one head.

wanttobuild

Would a four cylinder Corvair engine be a better option than a VW?
A 4 banger Corvair engine doesn’t exist as far as I know, but that is a small matter.
The question is how much would it weigh?

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
Would a four cylinder Corvair engine be a better option than a VW?
A 4 banger Corvair engine doesn’t exist as far as I know, but that is a small matter.
The question is how much would it weigh?
GM made one as a prototype but no factory production engines. Making the case work for a 4 cylinder wouldnt be all that bad, but the crank and camshaft would be an issue. Crank is more easily sorted but the camshaft just isnt available.