What happened to REVMASTER ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Baron Von Tygart

Has anyone heard from Revmaster lately? . We were working with their products a while back and then, they went totally unresponsive. Appears they're out of business. Hope their is another source for related engine parts, etc. especially the proprietary components that were unique to their products. We have used VW aeroconversions for some years now - seems like reliable engine sources are almost nonexistant. We still have one of their 2300's, if anyone is interested. Comments? "Ancient Aeroplanes, Ltd."

TerryM76

Supporting Member
I hope that's not the case. I acquired a project back in May that included a Revmaster with "0" flight hours. I did send an email to the Revmaster folks and tried to stir up some conversation with them about this particular serial number. I do want to replace the induction tube rubber hoses and gain more information about operation before 1st flight. I have not receive a response.

There is a Facebook Group dedicated to the Revmaster series.

Terry

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
The Revmaster is the specified preferred engine for the Thatcher 2 place aircraft designs (CX5 and CX7). The folks in that community might know if something is up with Joe Horvath and Revmaster. Anybody heard from them?

Baron Von Tygart

I hope that's not the case. I acquired a project back in May that included a Revmaster with "0" flight hours. I did send an email to the Revmaster folks and tried to stir up some conversation with them about this particular serial number. I do want to replace the induction tube rubber hoses and gain more information about operation before 1st flight. I have not receive a response.

There is a Facebook Group dedicated to the Revmaster series.

Terry
Hi Terry, As far as I know, they were down to one employee last year - the others aged out. Our perspective customers reported ordering engines and were told no engine components were available on the market. Addirionally they are unable or unwilling to meet their obligations. I'm in with the FB guys, thay seem to be aware of the situation, also. Were writting them off. * I bought the hose at NAPA - works fine. I have a copy of their 2300 engine manual, etc from the original owner. Joe

bmcj

Supporting Member
Joe Horvath is a family friend from way back. He and Joe Vittone helped me on the rebuild of my ‘64 Bug engine when I was young. The last time I saw Joe H, he was up there in age at that time, and that’s been awhile. He was the driving force in running Revmaster. He may have just aged out with no one left to take over.

On a side note, after rebuilding and balancing my bug engine, both Joes were somewhat shocked that I chose to shim the cylinders of my 1600cc to reduce compression, but I liked the result. The engine still had lots of power, but it ran cooler and didn’t diesel or continue running after you turned the key off. I did kind of miss the distinctive Volkswagen pop-pop-pop sound when it ran though.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Im getting the feeling some new aviation vw sources are needed.
True. I doubt it is possible to get rich in that game, but Scott Casler"s dance card is reportedly filled months in advance, so there is demand.
It takes a pretty rare combination of talents to make that business work, and I doubt there are a lot of folks with all the needed skills. But it could be a good gig for that right person.
Revmaster has (had?) a great reputation and a good aero engine, but it seems (ed?) to me that they did a poor job of promoting it. It almost seemed like they didn't want to sell them.

Last edited:

ScaleBirdsScott

I mean Sonex doesn't seem to be stopping AeroVee work? So as long as that's going there's going to be at least that. Whether they are the most affordable or the best option is not my wheelhouse but, I doubt anyone trying to enter the market now is going to catch up quicker than Sonex would to fill any gaps.

collector

I wrote Revmaster a few months ago to see if their VW valve covers were still available, and yes, I got an answer and price from them. But then again, a lot can happen in a few months !!

Too bad, the valve covers were killer !!

dave wolfe

Supporting Member
Im not sure but didnt sonex only sell to sonex owners?

Ive got one in my storage unit but theres some things on the aerovee thats not my preference.

My feeling is theres a market for a backplate incorporating more amps and magless ignition. Redundant alternators would be nice.

Wanttaja

Im not sure but didnt sonex only sell to sonex owners?
They may have been bought on the aftermarket, but there are several non-Sonex planes on the US registry that have Aerovee engines. Couple of Zenith CH-701s, an Ultra Pup, Avid Flyer, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

Aviacs

Great Plains is supposedly still in business.
They seem to have me on "auto-ignore" both phone & email. But i did get an initial response a month or 6 weeks ago.
Still no success in buying parts from them, but i was mostly looking for smalls such as valves, springs, guides to rebuild heads, and more recently maybe a set of exhaust bends kit. Though the lack of response makes me a lot less loyal to sourcing common items from them. Someone who makes me work to get them to take my money is conveying a message at odds with being in a retail business. I do hope to buy a Diehl accessory case in the future, and do those mods -after- attaining an AWC. (Airplane has a GP 2276 with GP X casting currently)

smt

Aviacs

I called a couple weeks ago and ordered parts and got them relatively quickly seeing as I’m on the wrong coast.
No conversation other than to order.

Revmaster or GP?

I have the strong sense that this is what Art Box prefers. Actually, most people selling a product prefer that except some that are just gregarious. I fully get it. But sometimes a person needs information, too, to best select and use the parts.
{Not in the manual, either, which i have and have read through a number of times)

smt

Mcmark

Revmaster, they have poly conical engine mounts and my bird needs them.
Put a half set in and used original rubbers for the other side. They have become NFG in short order.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
They may have been bought on the aftermarket, but there are several non-Sonex planes on the US registry that have Aerovee engines. Couple of Zenith CH-701s, an Ultra Pup, Avid Flyer, etc.

Ron Wanttaja
You can order Aerovee engines and components directly from the Aeroconversions (Sonex) web site right now. They do ask what aircraft you plan to use it on in the order form but I have never heard of anyone being refused because it wasn’t a Sonex type.

Flyguyeddy

Supporting Member
You can order Aerovee engines and components directly from the Aeroconversions (Sonex) web site right now. They do ask what aircraft you plan to use it on in the order form but I have never heard of anyone being refused because it wasn’t a Sonex type.

You cant purchase aerovee engine parts without an aerovee serial number fyi

Flyguyeddy

Supporting Member
Great Plains is supposedly still in business.
They seem to have me on "auto-ignore" both phone & email. But i did get an initial response a month or 6 weeks ago.
Still no success in buying parts from them, but i was mostly looking for smalls such as valves, springs, guides to rebuild heads, and more recently maybe a set of exhaust bends kit. Though the lack of response makes me a lot less loyal to sourcing common items from them. Someone who makes me work to get them to take my money is conveying a message at odds with being in a retail business. I do hope to buy a Diehl accessory case in the future, and do those mods -after- attaining an AWC. (Airplane has a GP 2276 with GP X casting currently)

smt
What x casting do you have? Deihl pattern or older aerovee pattern?

Aviacs

What x casting do you have? Deihl pattern or older aerovee pattern?

I believe it is the GP X casting.
Slick mag drive and alternator, but no starter.
As shown in early 2000's catalogs.

That said, the airplane had an Aerovee in it before the GP installation. But that backing plate is different (not X mount), to mount Aerovee electronic ignition & a starter, with the alternator central. All that gen Aerovee parts are red anodized; not the X casting in the plane currently.

I do have the Aerovee serial # & verified they will sell parts. Didn't you ask about it in the past? Or was it someone else?

smt

Last edited: