What Happened To...Le Pelican

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

b7gwap

Any interest in Solid Works on other projects. Sea Era, floats, LSA or UL trailerable seaplane?
Absolutely. I have lots of irons in fires, but PM me and we can take a look.

Any news on your pelican, Percy?

b7gwap

Thread bump! :) any news? Did you guys notice there’s a Pelican in the FSW forum? At a pawn shop in Nebraska. Pictures look clean as long as looky lous haven’t damaged anything.

pwood66889

" any news? "
Successfully (?) retired end of May, this year. Got the -042 motor out of So. `Bama, but have to get capacity to haul the airframe and floats. URL for FSW forum?

b7gwap

So, from a structures perspective, I’m intrigued by the drag spar design. More of a trapezoidal box rather than the traditional right triangle I see in so many other d tube designs (Lazair, ULF-1 come to mind.) Anybody have any commentary or insights into why that shape was used?

Also, looks like the spar caps were just sheet metal bent to resemble angle with a stiffening curl on the web. This certainly seems light weight. The Lazair used extruded angle for these as I recall. I suppose as long as there’s enough cross sectional area, located far from the neutral axis of bending of the beam, and those caps remain stiff under stress, they should work. It does look a bit dainty though.

WBNH

Every Superfloater I've seen was a ladder style, double strut wing. Close to the Goats, Challengers, and a million others. No similarity to the D-cell of the Lazair, Le Pelican, or Toucan.

Found this site a while back, a guy rebuilt a number of these designs. No connection, just a site I found. Lots of good pictures, though. http://mict04.ottawarobotics.org/restoring-super-pelican/

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Every Superfloater I've seen was a ladder style, double strut wing.
Not all of them. There were several iterations of the 'Floater.

Edit:
As near as I can tell from my investigations the only one that had the "D" tube was the rudder only version. I too have never seen, an aileron version with anything but the "V" lift struts.

Last edited:

b7gwap

Not all of them. There were several iterations of the 'Floater.
HW, I also have only ever seen a double tube spar ladder frame Superfloater, any links to share? Also, seems like the Lazair has a less abrupt transition from drag spar to fuselage tube?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
HW, I also have only ever seen a double tube spar ladder frame Superfloater, any links to share? Also, seems like the Lazair has a less abrupt transition from drag spar to fuselage tube?
Links have dried up*. I was pretty sure I had a photo in my collection - but I don't. Probably had Pelican wing photos stuck in my brain. See edit above. The Hill/Hall "D" tube version predated the other 2 by several years. (1975)

* Still some good "V" strut photos on the Nest of Dragons site.

b7gwap

Interesting. Do you have a thread for your “Le Vampire” idea? I’d like to know more.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Interesting. Do you have a thread for your “Le Vampire” idea? I’d like to know more.
I don't remember mentioning this? WAY....... too early for a thread. I have been toying with the idea of a primary glider based on the Marske formula. But so far it's nothing more than napkin grade. Much like the Mitchell U-2 getting a flying wing to fold up into a legal trailer-able width is actually harder than an conventional plane - if you want quick one man rigging with automatic connections. Going to a 2 man setup car top-able formula needing some pins/bolts (Mitchell B-10) makes thing much easier.

Once I get the various bits moved around so the structure is still simple to build then I'll start with the "D" tube single strut aluminum wing. Depending on how the weight come out it might be lighter to use a Marske style cantilever composite wing with simple locating struts. But I'd like this to be build-able by anyone from plans to fit with the Lithuanian formula of training.

No plans for a Le Pelican in my future - unless I just happen to be traveling on I-80 through Nebraska with a trailer...............

Like the name 'Le Vampyre'!;)

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I don't remember mentioning this? WAY....... too early for a thread. I have been toying with the idea of a primary glider based on the Marske formula. But so far it's nothing more than napkin grade. Much like the Mitchell U-2 getting a flying wing to fold up into a legal trailer-able width is actually harder than an conventional plane - if you want quick one man rigging with automatic connections. Going to a 2 man setup car top-able formula needing some pins/bolts (Mitchell B-10) makes thing much easier.

Once I get the various bits moved around so the structure is still simple to build then I'll start with the "D" tube single strut aluminum wing. Depending on how the weight come out it might be lighter to use a Marske style cantilever composite wing with simple locating struts. But I'd like this to be build-able by anyone from plans to fit with the Lithuanian formula of training.

No plans for a Le Pelican in my future - unless I just happen to be traveling on I-80 through Nebraska with a trailer...............

Like the name 'Le Vampyre'!;)
I worked on a quick CAD file and posted it on here about a year ago of a Powered Goat/Marske Monarch hybrid. I even sent it to Jim Marske and also met him at the ESA event last year and talked to him about it. So Basicaly it was a Monarche type wing but built with pounded sheet ribs or CNC'd plywood ribs and tubular spars like a RANS. Forward fuselage was built like a goat with a short KOLB type boom to hold the vertical fin. Engine would have been a Polini 250.

The images below were done on a lunch break so they are very crude to get the point across.

Marske Assy - 2.jpg Marske Assy - 1.jpg

I also drew this as well and it was built around the Briggs motor with simple constant chord wing and Sonex/Moni type construction.
MG1 Assy - Iso 2.jpgMG1 Assy - Iso 1.jpg

One day I will make some sort of simple motorglider of my own design. In the meantime I have the Zigolo. Or better yet while I play with the Zigolo, Topaz will finish his design and I will just build his as its better thought out.

Marc

b7gwap

Marc,
Nice looking CADnapkins there.

Topaz I’m also looking forward to your design.