What Happened To...Le Pelican

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I started working on how I'd build a le Pelican XL. I'm trying to keep it "hacksaw and tin snips" so I wouldn't have to flatten and bend the end of the tubes. ...it's got a long way to go and there are lots of glitches (rivet holes in wrong place and gussets passing through the motor mount etc.) but I'm liking the idea more and more :)

View attachment 53457 View attachment 53458

View attachment 53459 View attachment 53460

View attachment 53461 View attachment 53462
WOW Fritz Great Job,

I like the XL size as I need that. Please make it fit a 6'4" 220lb pilot with a bit of room for fuel. I was thinking of going down the same route but since your already doing it than maybe I will wait. If you have not joined the Yahoo group yet there are some good pics of the wings structure. Oh one other request make it strut braced and allow the wings to fold like a Kolb. Folding wings are a necessity for me which is why I was going to start drawing one myself. Also keep the 37' or 38' span as I also want to float around in some lift. If you need or would like any help or a second set of eyes let me know as i am a solidworks user as well.

Take care,

Marc

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
folding wings are a necessity for me
Marc
Me too. The single strut Pelican wing actually lends itself to folding fairly easily. Using sailplane like pins to transfer lift and torsion to the fuselage is a natural given the way the Pilican wing structure handles torsion and drag/anti-drag loads. I've done the basic math and it's quite doable.

As for adequate material to screw into with the thin rib caps - repair is sometimes done by hogging out a little foam and injecting some flox for more bearing area. The Lazair wing, as already noted, is very similar and gives us a service history to study.

Edit:
Traditional rib stitching is still a viable option.

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
I got a few more parts on...

PelULXL8.jpg PelULXL9.jpg PelULXL9a.jpg
I haven't quite figured out how the tubes will connect to the angles yet, but these would keep fittings from bumping up under the fabric. They'd also do a good job of spreading the load. Might even allow for a thinner "boom".

PelULXL10.jpg PelULXL10a.jpg
How about a cup holder with built in USB ports :gig:

EDIT: it should fit a 6' 4" pilot with no problem. My pilot model is 6' 2".

...even folded a 38' wing is going to be awful long, it wouldn't fit in a 20' container.

Last edited:

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I got a few more parts on...

View attachment 53471 View attachment 53472 View attachment 53473
I haven't quite figured out how the tubes will connect to the angles yet, but these would keep fittings from bumping up under the fabric. They'd also do a good job of spreading the load. Might even allow for a thinner "boom".

View attachment 53474 View attachment 53475
How about a cup holder with built in USB ports :gig:

EDIT: it should fit a 6' 4" pilot with no problem. My pilot model is 6' 2".

...even folded a 38' wing is going to be awful long, it wouldn't fit in a 20' container.
Thats too awesome for words Fritz...

addicted2climbing

Log Member
...the wonders of grabcad.com :gig:
I figured as much. GrabCad is such a great resource nowadays. Did you get your human model from there? Is it parametric enough that you can measure your limbs and then change it on the model? The human model I have now has been done with surfacing and the surfaces are pretty much locked.

Marc

FritzW

Log Member
I don't remember where I got the human model from but it was probably grabcad. I had to mess with it quite a bit when I first got it to make him 6' 2" and the same proportions as me (resizing each part). There are better ones out there now but this one works for what I do.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Without going back through the whole thread, has anyone mentioned the Indy Flyer?
The Indy-Flyer - EAA 292

Definitely not a Le Pelican but it might satisfy someone's needs for a modern(ish) C-2(ish) ultralight.
Hello Tiger Tim,

Yes we have seen the Indy Flyer. It was Cable braced though I believe and would not lend itself too well to folding wings. However there may be some worthwhile elements worth considering still.
Marc

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Hey Fritz,

You mentioned earlier that you had not sorted out how all the connections work out between tubes an brackets. For that I would think looking at the Goat plans woudl be ideal. For many of the off axis tubes the Goat uses U channel that gives the ability to rotate the channel into the same plane as the bracket. Also in some areas the Goat has flattened tubing off axis as well, but I would think straying from flattened tubing and using all U channels as connection points would be easier and more repeatable during installation if someone were following plans.

Also Saddle washers work well too.
Saddles, Standoffs, Spacers & Tube Caps

Marc

FritzW

Log Member
U channel that gives the ability to rotate the channel into the same plane as the bracket.
Hi Marc,

I'm trying to use U channel everywhere I can but the Pelican has lots of places with two tubes coming out of the channel in different planes.

U Channel.jpg these have enough fudge room that they'll work (drill on assembly)

U Channel work around.jpg these don't :ermm: I attached the forward tube to main down tube and put a doubler in it.

The part I'm trying to sort out is attaching the diagonals that meet the boom about half way down. I want to keep my "ventricle fin" angles idea because to keeps bumps out of the fabric, ...and beefs up the tube a little. ...and they'd be super easy to make:)

Just a few more tubes then it's time for the gear and wings!

FritzW

Log Member
As soon as we get the info for the original LePelican into the computer you can bet a "tall boy" version won't be far behind ;)