What engine would YOU build

Discussion in 'General Auto Conversion Discussion' started by Winginitt, May 15, 2019 at 4:08 AM.

1. May 15, 2019 at 11:18 PM #21

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Interesting, thats one to turbo if any. Wonder if they would sell the parts?

It seems steep at 130%+ VE but 60 hp seems doable. The 912 is around 13cc I think. Each section would have its own camshaft?

2. May 15, 2019 at 11:29 PM #22

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

There website says no sell parts, send them engine they build it and send it back. I imagine they could procure an engine for you to build though.

3. May 15, 2019 at 11:44 PM #23

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Not for $9200

4. May 15, 2019 at 11:51 PM #24

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

That's what I was thinking. I want to get a hold of there mail for a second and see were those parts are coming from for sure.

5. May 16, 2019 at 12:56 AM #25

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

One of the more interesting cars I swapped engines in I tuned for more torque. I could let the clutch out at idle and it would move along at a walk. Hit the loud pedal and it would spin its wheels until around 35mph when it was time to change gear. That was a whopping 1108cc and maybe 50hp in a small 1990 car. One person borrowed and brought it back telling me it was an animal the way it responded to the throttle. It frightened his wife who usually drove a 2L car. On twisty back roads, it felt and moved very quickly. Straights, utterly hopeless. I could have given it more power instead of torque over a wide range, but it would have been a lot harder to drive quickly.
    Modern engines have higher specific torque than older ones. But they often have lighter flywheels to help acceleration, that makes them unhappy at lower revs. There is a lot more to how cars feel than raw hp and torque numbers.
    Fortunately, we don't need to bother with a wide torque range in planes and can shoot for high hp a specific RPM with no ill effects if the engine stays together.

6. May 16, 2019 at 1:05 AM #26

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

poormansairforce likes this.
  7. May 16, 2019 at 1:25 AM #27

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

All dynos need recalibrated! I just want the parts.

8. May 16, 2019 at 1:36 AM #28

Dana

Dana

Dana

Yup. Just like radials. But oh, that wonderful noise!

How about a radial with seven or nine VW cylinders, should be able to make 105 or 135HP or so.

sotaro and akwrencher like this.
  9. May 16, 2019 at 1:39 AM #29

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

I almost forgot: Aviation-specific cylinder heads for the VW. The best bang-for-the buck endeavor (IMO) for the US EAB community. The existing VW heads are good if you treat them right (temps! valve adjustments!), but the engine would benefit from heads purpose-built for aircraft use. Features:
    -- Generous fins that are free of flash so the air really goes through the passages, especially near the exhaust valve
    -- Valves that are smaller than those in the high-rpm heads used by the street racers. At our direct-drive 3600 RPM, there's no need for giant valves, and smaller ones leave more meat in the heats (so fewer cracks)
    -- A smart location for the second plug so it can be easily changed AND is far enough away from the valves so it doesn't promote cracks
    -- TimeSerts or other steel inserts inserted into the heads for the spark plugs to screw into. No more stripped plug holes.
    -- A dedicated spot for the CHT thermocouple. There are several fine places on any of he existing heads, but there's no standardized agreeement on where to put them. Some folks put a ring under the spark plug, some folks tap a hole in a fin, some folks mount them under one of the studs--and al result in deiiferent readings. When Joe says his CHTs never get hotter than 350F, you need to ask him where te sensor is mounted. A tapped spot that all could use would help fix this.
    -- For the smaller aviation VWs (1835cc and below?) -- all the above features, but with single port heads (for better charge velocity, VE, and torque at airplane RPMs)

Again, some of the existing heads work well, but these heads would do things a little better.

Oh--and sell them for $100 each!

On the modular opposed water-cooled engine idea:
    I think a single common camshaft for all the sections--pushrods to the 2 valves per cylinder. So, you'd need 6 different camshafts to cover 2,4,6,8,10,12 cylinder variants. >Perhaps< there would be a way to have a single camshaft that was one section long that could link to the next one , but I'd guess that would be troubleprone.

Nope, that dyno is calibrated just the way they like it, thanks.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 1:53 AM
    sotaro and Pops like this.
  10. May 16, 2019 at 1:47 AM #30

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

11. May 16, 2019 at 2:12 AM #31

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

I was looking at the dyno chart in the 3600rpm range to see what might be realistic. Also the parts are eye candy.

12. May 16, 2019 at 2:41 AM #32

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

That amount of torque is fanciful even for brief runs.

13. May 16, 2019 at 2:58 AM #33

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

I was looking for a CR and didn't see one?

14. May 16, 2019 at 3:11 AM #34

Pops

Pops

Pops

I am not talking about fuel economy, longevity, emissions. Just very low rpm torque performance in high gear on a steep hill.
    I have never driven any of today's engines that will go down to 10-15 mph in high gear on a steep hill and when you shove the gas peddle down and accelerate as smoothly while picking up speed as those old heavy iron 8's.
    My father and his 3 business pardners all drove Cords. I have driven the 37 Cord Hollywood Graham but wasn't allowed to drive the 37 Cord Conv with the Super Charged engine.

Guess I'm old fashion because I like old 1930's cars and round engine airplanes.

15. May 16, 2019 at 4:00 AM #35

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Something like this that I was working on for a 1/2 VW? Not $100 though - about $4X each.
    2 cyl assembly.PDF

Will see if the new site will take a 3D PDF. The old one wouldn't.

Attached Files:

Vigilant1 likes this.
  16. May 16, 2019 at 6:01 AM #36

Geraldc

Geraldc

Geraldc

If I could take an off the shelf motor and throw money at it I would get a small alloy block 4 cylinder motor and make an aviation specific head for it.
    2 spark plug holes per cylinder.
    2 valves per cylinder.
    Reduction drive shaft running at 2 to 1 with bearings at front and rear to carry prop loads.
    Secondary function of shaft is to activate valves.
    For a 3 cylinder engine some balance factor built into shaft.
    Now for the hard part.There has to be a drive system either belt or gear with some cushioning to drive the secondary shaft.

17. May 16, 2019 at 12:59 PM #37

Pops

Pops

Pops

Agree 100% on the VW heads. Also could start getting a more HP with the heads taking care of the extra heat. Then the limit would be the mag case. A well balance engine does help on the case life. The aluminum case is 17 pounds heavier.

sotaro and Vigilant1 like this.
  18. May 16, 2019 at 1:19 PM #38

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

The LV3 is designed with a balance shaft and driven off the crank via chain. Its supported by bearings at both ends.

Gotta wonder of those cast in bearing supports could be used, with a third thrust bearing and a support assembly bolted to the rear of the engine.. hmmmm

19. May 16, 2019 at 2:09 PM #39

revkev6

revkev6

revkev6

wasn't there someone in south america I think that built and was testing a set of heads they made specifically for aircraft use?? did a quick google search but cant seem to find it. this would have been a couple years back.

they do list "gross" hp.. which is amusing given that they are comparing to SAE hp.... which is again different than the automotive ratings....

20. May 16, 2019 at 2:13 PM #40

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Maybe Motorav? They advertise a lot at shows, nice brochures and videos. I have never seen one in anvactual customer's plane.