What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Seems that Solar Stratos project found new sponsor and is going forward 👍
The middle of the clip and no solar panels on the horizontal stabilizer, the first and last clip and there are solar panels on the horizontal stabilizer, also in the first and last clip the turtledeck (or aft fuselage) appears grey while not the obvious black of the solar panels what is going on in the grey area I wonder?

John.Roo

The middle of the clip and no solar panels on the horizontal stabilizer, the first and last clip and there are solar panels on the horizontal stabilizer, also in the first and last clip the turtledeck (or aft fuselage) appears grey while not the obvious black of the solar panels what is going on in the grey area I wonder?
When is not available enough new video footage is necessary to mix old and new material :cool:
If I remember well they had an accident (landing after propulsion failure) so maybe they had to change stabilizer....

EzyBuildWing

Human Drone....! Check this out.....!
Paramotor-chap duct-tapes a Mikon gymballed-camera to his leg and goes paramotoring.... becomes a human-drone!
Vid-quality is excellent, as he e-Soars at low level and low-level......but sound of 2-stroke ICE is intrusive during running running-commentary.
Needs an eParamotor with a few 1-hour battery-packs for fast swaps.
Great vid:

John.Roo

eGyrocopter has twin ducted-fans.......and offers incredible-performance........but I wanna' see the sucker fly before I get too excited.......

Well.... as I wrote in thread about Pseudo Jets.... no chance to reach speeds over 200 kts.
It is not only about thrust, but mainly about necessity to re-design rotor blades shape, blades profile and need to use different type of rotorhead.

EzyBuildWing

Heavy-lift electric quad-rotor from the new owner of RotorWay..........
Helicopters and Gyros need not less than than 1 HP for every 10 lbs of MTOW, so they can certainly get airborne electrically.....
So the only question is, how long can they stay up?

John.Roo

Heavy-lift electric quad-rotor from the new owner of RotorWay..........
Helicopters and Gyros need not less than than 1 HP for every 10 lbs of MTOW, so they can certainly get airborne electrically.....
So the only question is, how long can they stay up?

1 hp per 10 lbs (4,5 kg)?
It means that 600 kg helictopter needs 133 kW power? Well... seems +-realistic.

What is interesting to me is that in helicopters industry I can see intensive development and optimalization of rotor blades shape and profiles.
Gyroplanes are practically without any changes using same profile and shape of blades. Only materials are changing - instead of wood we see on market metal and composite blades. No work done on new profiles or blades shapes. Is really not possible to improve efficiency of gyroplane rotor? ;)

John.Roo

Stalewski_improvement_PIL_4_2017 (4)(1).pdf

-some attempts...

"1 hp per 10 lbs (4,5 kg)? "

D=0.7 / 1.3 m =15 kG / 1 kW,

REACTIONless !
Still a bit off-topic from soaring but... why not for a while ;)

The "reactionless" power solution could be propulsion improvement - more thrust with less power.
However gyroplane has not driven rotor (except pre-rotator system) so I am speaking about aerodynamic improvements done on gyroplane rotor blades.

EzyBuildWing

eMosquito helicopter gets 25 minutes range......built absolutely as light as possible.....carbon-tubes everywhere.
Emrax 228 motor.
Don't know the horsepower(kW) consumption? Would be interesting to see vid of the energy expended during flight, like Pipistrel's display.
I wonder why Pipistrel doesn't have something like this eHeli in their "Skunk Works"?

Martin Holmann's absolute-minimalist "Bumble Bee" 500 lbs MTOW gyrocopter from the 1980.s had a fuse essentially consisting of 2 pieces of 2" x 2" x 0.025" 6061-T6 square-tube.....,,keel-tube was 11' long and mast was 7' long........total, say 20' at 1.2 lbs/ft = 24lbs. At $8/ft, that's under $200.
Bumble Bee's empty weight was 185 lbs ready to gas-up and fly with a Kawasaki TA-440 ( 436 cc max 50 HP at 6000 rpm, 78 lbs including belt-reduction and electric-start and muffler ) engine.
Bensen's 1956 gyro-glider was simplified and lightened to the utmost and weighed 125 lbs and was car-towed.

John.Roo

OK, lets stay for a while with this off topic ;)
I remember that one seat gyroplanes were using Rotax 503 (50 hp) and actually smallest engine in gyroplane is Polliny Thor 303 (38 hp) used in Nano Gyroplane.
Smallest one seat helicopter I know is Mosquito using MZ202 (63 hp).
Even smaller is Yanagisawa's helicopter using 4x 10 hp (so in total 40 hp).
Do you know any lighter gyroplane or helicopter? If possible really flying ones and at least few pces produced ;)

EzyBuildWing

Bumble Bee gyro info from Martin Holmann's Website....which has some good vids too of the Bumble Bee flying......

The Bumble Bee was designed, built, and flown by ADI in 1983. It is the world’s first ultralight gyroplane. The Bumble Bee is one of the few ultralight gyroplanes on the market. It uses a prerotator to spin the rotor blades up to 300 rpm on the ground. Once the blades are up to speed, the take off distance is 230 feet on a calm day. It is powered by a 40 hp Rotax or Kawasaki engine. Flight speed ranges from 15 to 70 mph. Construction is bolt together aluminum tubes. Price for plans is $250. Plans include prerotator, blades, and trailer modification to transport aircraft. For a free copy of the BUMBLE BEE PERFORMANCE AND STRESS REPORTS. 2.2 MB .pdf file, Click here.