What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

+FLAPPING winglets !

pra-prototype (2016 !) of Zbyszek Gotkiewicz=

You have flappingwingitus; a rare and untreatable condition.

danmoser

Have any of you fine folks had exposure to any of Geiger's electric drive systems?
If so, I'd be pleased to hear about your analysis, thoughts, opinions, etc.
They look impressive for both low power motorgliders/ultralights, as well as LSAs. I think Aeromarine's Chip Erwin used one of them successfully on his Zigolo, but seems to have cooled on the idea for his other craft.
I'm curious as to how they compare to competing systems.

blane.c

Have any of you fine folks had exposure to any of Geiger's electric drive systems?
They look impressive for both low power motorgliders/ultralights, as well as LSAs. I think Aeromarine's Chip Erwin used one of them successfully on his Zigolo, but seems to have cooled on the idea for his other craft.
Interesting.

John.Roo

Hello! I have personal experience with MGM Compro systems...
...and my friend is flying with Geiger Engineering electric propulsion systems.

I visited Mr. Geiger workshop and I have been really impressed.
So... what would you like to know? ;)

danmoser

Hello! I have personal experience with MGM Compro systems...
...and my friend is flying with Geiger Engineering electric propulsion systems.

I visited Mr. Geiger workshop and I have been really impressed.
So... what would you like to know? ;)
Thanks, John.
Generally, I wanted to find out how well Geiger's electric propulsion hardware works, how fast it wears out or deteriorates, and generally whether it is worth the cost & risk in trying this relatively new technology.
MGM's systems and the system used by Pipistrel are interesting too.
I've got a small Moni motorglider (~25 hp) and an LSA (~50hp) which I'd like to convert to electric power.
The Zero motorcycle system looks good too, but it seems strange that you have to buy a wrecked motorcycle to obtain the hardware.
Rather than fooling around with some of the cheaper RC-type hardware components, which don't seem to be very durable, I'd like to find out people's operational experience with the better engineered options made specifically for aircraft, like Geiger & MGM.
Any overheating, wear, performance loss, or repair/maintenance issues over time?
Just generally, how happy you are with your electric propulsion system as a whole?
Any input/advice is welcome (within reason). ;)

Last edited:

EzyBuildWing

Great Toyota vid.
Plot Twist.......Elon will "personally" buy Toyota Motor Co.............then we won't have to wait until 2028 for solid-state.......
But hey......upstream from the charging-stations, what acceptable non-polluting source is the electrical ENERGY to be harvested from??????

blane.c

Great Toyota vid.
Plot Twist.......Elon will "personally" buy Toyota Motor Co.............then we won't have to wait until 2028 for solid-state.......
But hey......upstream from the charging-stations, what acceptable non-polluting source is the electrical ENERGY to be harvested from??????
Nuclear or if the poles shift and the pyramids realign with the magnetic field we will all have free energy, Unicorn sightings, and awesome rainbows everywhere.

John.Roo

"
Li-Ion Akku mit integriertem BMS und elektronischem Vollschutz:
14 Z; 60 Ah; ca. 15 kg ... "

<60 V x 60 Ah= 3.6 kWh ...?

=circa 4 kg/kWh ? not bad !

=price ???
If I remember well it was price of Mr. Geiger battery arround 1 000 EUR / 1 kWh, but unfortunatelly COVID and transportation problems raised price to approx. 1 300 EUR / 1 kWh.
I will ask him for actual pricelist ;)

John.Roo

Thanks, John.
Generally, I wanted to find out how well Geiger's electric propulsion hardware works, how fast it wears out or deteriorates, and generally whether it is worth the cost & risk in trying this relatively new technology.
MGM's systems and the system used by Pipistrel are interesting too.
I've got a small Moni motorglider (~25 hp) and an LSA (~50hp) which I'd like to convert to electric power.
The Zero motorcycle system looks good too, but it seems strange that you have to buy a wrecked motorcycle to obtain the hardware.
Rather than fooling around with some of the cheaper RC-type hardware components, which don't seem to be very durable, I'd like to find out people's operational experience with the better engineered options made specifically for aircraft, like Geiger & MGM.
Any overheating, wear, performance loss, or repair/maintenance issues over time?
Just generally, how happy you are with your electric propulsion system as a whole?
Any input/advice is welcome (within reason). ;)
From my point of view is Mr. Geiger system designed more for amateur builders. MGM is focused more on professional users and solutions designed for specific projects (like propulsion for GP gliders etc.).

Geiger systems are like LEGO ;)
You can buy only 2 battery packs and later connect more (up to 8 if i remember well).
Is designed like "plug and play" so you decide what power do you need and systems comes with wiring and all parts you need.
Positive is that Geiger battery pack size is unified. However this can be a problem if you need special shape of batery pack (we had that problem because we have battery cells in wings and fuselage).

"25 hp Moni motorglider"
1636438980100.png
Nice ;)

First of all - how much weight you have available for propulsion system installation?
(MTOM - EW - pilot weight - actual engine installation weight)
And... what is power you need for horizontal flight?

About problems...
I had problems with motor temperature - max. power was 60 kW, but max. cont. power was 30 kW. Not a problem for flying, however is really good to pay attention to cooling system.
Battery capacity is important to precede problems with battery overheating.
With controllers I had no problems.

Honestly....
Solution based on ZERO is not that bad because of price and whole system package (motor, battery pack, controller, charger).
However I agree that shoudl be not from "wrecked" motorcycle.

And... I would also think about this propulsion system available in US:

Best regards!
Martin