What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John.Roo

What about this to get going so as to conserve battery life for later?

I definielly agree with idea to have also "alternative" possibility of TakeOff 👍
TOST tow hook should be installed in the front.
I can imagine aerotowing and maybe also "car tow start" - every "externally added energy" will save battery ;)

I am only not 100% sure about winch start.
I beleive that every glider pilot has experience with aerotowing. However not every glider pilot has experience with winch start and winch start emergency procedures.
Also.... I have feeling that better position of tow hook for winch start should be near CG (but I have experience only with L-13 Blanik winch start = not enough experience to make general conclusions).
1634363550663.png
From other point of view - I agree that winch start is definitelly cheapest way how to get glider into the air. Disadvantage is necessary training and necessity of a more friends present on the airfield. For aerotow takeoff you need also training, but seems to me a bit easier in compare with winch start.

henryk

winch start.
=needs long airfield...

f.e/=allmost 1 nm (1852 m)

-or car-tow

Last edited:

John.Roo

=needs long airfield...

f.e/=allmost 1 nm (1852 m)

-or car-tow

You are right about winch start - it is necessary suitable RWY.
We have RWY 880 m long and typical release altitude during winch start is 300 m.

Car tow or aerotow (ideally done by ultralight because of lower costs) is good alternative for "battery saving" start 👍

henryk

good alternative for "battery saving" start
-the most promissed is "SINGLE WIRE LINE", for take off/climbe in spiral fly ,
allmost supercondacting properties, very light (f.e. carbon thin line),
circa 80 % energy efficient =only sender/reciver loses...

John.Roo

-the most promissed is "SINGLE WIRE LINE", for take off/climbe in spiral fly ,
allmost supercondacting properties, very light (f.e. carbon thin line),
circa 80 % energy efficient =only sender/reciver loses...
If "single wire line" means connection between ground and glider, than I am afraid that it will be a safety problem with authorities.

henryk

If "single wire line" means connection between ground and glider, than I am afraid that it will be a safety problem with authorities.
-Single Wire Line may have very high resistance (thin diametr,low conductivity),
no need in isolation, NO Joule electron curent=thas NO danger in in air contakt...

-classic tow line is much danger !

=the weight of SWL is extremally low.

BTW=in place of "hardwear" line my be laser beem ,ionised air track...
and directed between generator (on the ground)and reciver (on flying board /motorglider).

Last edited:

John.Roo

-Single Wire Line may have very high resistance (thin diametr,low conductivity),
no need in isolation, NO Joule electron curent=thas NO danger in in air contakt...

-classic tow line is much danger !

=the weight of SWL is extremally low.

BTW=in place of "hardwear" line my be laser beem ,ionised air track...
and directed between generator (on the ground)and reciver (on flying board /motorglider).
I understand that "single wire line" or "laser beem" can be a possible future, however please don´t forget we need to deal with actual technology easily available on typical aeroclub airfield. I don´t see a problem to find friend with car to help you with car towing. Also ultralight (or normal) tow planes are common on most of airfields. Maybe would be possible to use roof of hangar to get some energy from solar panels over a week to have few takeoffs "for free" during weekend. But I really don´t think that "15 kW laser beem" or "15 kW power source with single wire line" will be easily available...
Problem with "safety" I mentionned has been aimed to other traffic arround. Use of winch is normally well published and boy on RADIO is informing arriving traffic about winch operations. That is OK and well known.
However I have experience with paragliding winch operations. Practically "invissible" thin cable and typically no RADIO.
"Nice sample" you can see here....
It means for me that every operation when your plane makes potentially dangerous obstacle (winch cable, "single wire line"....) needs some extra safety procedures = more people to be involved.

henryk

But I really don´t think that "15 kW laser beem" or "15 kW power source with single wire line" will be easily available...
=Low Power laser beem ionisate only air =its rezistance is lower then not excitad air...
=it is anoth to made way for Electric Energy from power generator (circa 100kHz,100 kV,
100 kW !) to the "Vilka Avramienko" on motorglider board.

PS= Electric Energy on ground surface is cheap, on high level in the air is costly !

John.Roo

Electric Stratos 300 - also nice conversion 👍
Data of original version are here:
1634549644102.png
Motor: Geiger HPD16 (16 kW motor with 19 kW available power for TakeOff)
Battery: 3 x Geiger 60 Ah (90 min. powered flight)

henryk

Electric Energy on ground surface is cheap, on high level in the air is costly !

=интересно ?

=in yuth...

BTW= 4 MW/ mm^2 !!!

Last edited:

John.Roo

It is possible that in future will be available wireless energy transport (with reasonable efficiency).
Now we have to calculate with on board battery and 220 V / 16 Amps socket for re-charge (somewhere 400 V 16/32 Amps).
That is reality.
If will be possible to use car or aerotow - OK, but this is just a "bonus".
Our "e-glider" (or "e-soarer") needs to be practically independent ;)

John.Roo

Article about electric Diamond eDA-40.
Interesting is this part:
"The batteries will be in a pod under the belly of the airplane and although I don’t have the weight of them precisely, the airplane will retain its 2821-pound gross weight (1280 kg) on a planned empty weight of 2403 pounds (1090 kg). Payload will be about 190 kg or 418 pounds. It’s a two-person airplane, even though the cabin retains its original volume and seats."

henryk

Interesting is this part:
Yours another remarks,opinion ?

PS=Bogdan is made test bed with sensored 40 kW 20280 motor
with 450 A/120 V ESC +CR Diff.Reductor (on the base of planetary gear)
+(3+2) blade propellers...

-soon measuremants (weackend) .

Last edited: