What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John.Roo

I've been looking forward to seeing the Aeros AC-21 come out. I don't know if they were working on an electric version or not, but seems like a good, light platform for one. The original seemed a bit light on load rating and I think this one corrects that.
View attachment 115675
I had oportunity to see aerotow takeoff of Alatus few weeks ago in Germany. Tow plane was some high wing ultralight.
It was normal day - good for soaring. However my impression was that Alatus is too light. It fits perfectly into German 120 kg Class. But very low weight (=low wing load) was causing problems even with light crosswind. I am really glad that request to keep 25 kg/m2 has been removed from 120 kg Class requirements.

John.Roo

=iff to install auer airbrake, paraschute landing can be real SOFT (V <> 0 m/s !)
If I can choose ballistic rescue system or parachute on my back I will definitelly prefer ballistic rescue system.
The only difference is that ballistic rescue system is included in Empty Weight and parachute on the back is not included in Empty Weight. In 120 kg Class category can be every kg important ;)

henryk

In 120 kg Class category can be every kg important
=GEKON (69 kg) have NO problem with 120 kg...

(any cooperation in kit production ?)

=similar to polish ELF=

Last edited:

henryk

Attachments

Last edited:

John.Roo

More info about the "world fastest electric airplane".
Seems that airframe is light modification of Sharp Nemesis

Rolls Royce Accel
Aircraft is powered by three high power density electric motors driving a single three-blade propeller spinning at 2,400 RPM, designed and manufactured by YASA, running at 750 volts and delivering over 500 hp (370 kW) combined. Its 6,000-cell, cooled battery pack should have the highest energy density for an aircraft and should allow a 320 km (170 nmi) range.
It is derived from the carbonfibre Sharp Nemesis NXT racer. Battery power output will be 500 hp (373 kW) continuous, reaching 750kW (1,006hp) at maximum power. The battery, motors and control equipment weigh the same as the regular engine and fuel tank.

For basic impression...
Sharp Nemesis NXT has following technical data (blue data are the same for electric ACCEL):
  • Length: 23 ft (7.0 m)
  • Wingspan: 24 ft (7.3 m)
  • Wing area: 70 sq ft (6.5 m2)
  • Airfoil: Modified NASA NLF (Natural Laminar Flow)
  • Empty weight: 1,600 lb (726 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 2,600 lb (1,179 kg)
  • Fuel capacity: 90 US gal (340 l; 75 imp gal)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming TIO-540-NXT piston engine, 350 hp (260 kW)
Performance
  • Cruise speed: 325 mph (523 km/h, 282 kn) IAS
  • Stall speed: 90 mph (140 km/h, 78 kn) IAS
  • Rate of climb: 3,000 ft/min (15 m/s)
  • Fuel consumption: 0.369 lb/mi (0.104 kg/km)
  • Fuel consumption: 20 US gal (76 L)/h in cruise, 35 US gal (130 L)/h at Full Power
  • Take Off: 2,500 ft (760 m) @ sea level
  • Landing: 3,500 ft (1,100 m) @ sea level
To fly airplane with 6.5 m2 area at MTOM 1 179 kg (= over 180 kg/m2 wing load) is not really my cup of coffee. OK, it will be a nice toy to set some records, but I don´t really see it in "fundamental role in the future of low-carbon flight".

sming

Well, it's a way to validate a high power battery pack+motors while doing nice PR. The nemesis is wicked cool, I'm not "dreaming" about the electric cessna caravan ;) I would love to do 1/2h flight in the nemesis at full power, somebody talked about a "tesla ludicrous for airplane", but in the caravan? meh. Whats great with the caravan is where you are going with it!

henryk

Battery power output will be 500 hp (373 kW) continuous, reaching 750kW (1,006hp) at maximum power. The battery, motors and control equipment weigh the same as the regular engine and fuel tank.
=?

iff=320 km / 520 km/h=0.6 h *373 kW =230 kWh ...

230 * 5 kg/kWh=1150 kg ...! (accu weight) ?

BJC

HBA Supporter
Interesting that, even with RR involved, first flight was almost 10 months later that first announced.

It also will be interesting to see the effect of much less cooling drag on top sustained speed. Higher HP ICE powered NXT’s haven’t been leaders at Reno, where top qualifying pylon course speeds, in good conditions, are in the 410 MPH range.

BJC

EzyBuildWing

technically impressive, but me-thinks "journeying" around the sky in this Rolls Royce Accel would get pretty boring pretty fast...... I don't think I could stand it!
( Now, if the Pond Racer could be fitted with a couple of junked electric Zero motors and some lengthened soaring wing-extensions(from Burt of course) then that would be electrically very-interesting....).

mm4440

And one more nice homebuild project of Terry Wells...
View attachment 115733
View attachment 115734
View attachment 115735
Anyone know what has happened to Terry and is plane?
More info about the "world fastest electric airplane".
Seems that airframe is light modification of Sharp Nemesis

Rolls Royce Accel
Aircraft is powered by three high power density electric motors driving a single three-blade propeller spinning at 2,400 RPM, designed and manufactured by YASA, running at 750 volts and delivering over 500 hp (370 kW) combined. Its 6,000-cell, cooled battery pack should have the highest energy density for an aircraft and should allow a 320 km (170 nmi) range.
It is derived from the carbonfibre Sharp Nemesis NXT racer. Battery power output will be 500 hp (373 kW) continuous, reaching 750kW (1,006hp) at maximum power. The battery, motors and control equipment weigh the same as the regular engine and fuel tank.

For basic impression...
Sharp Nemesis NXT has following technical data (blue data are the same for electric ACCEL):
  • Length: 23 ft (7.0 m)
  • Wingspan: 24 ft (7.3 m)
  • Wing area: 70 sq ft (6.5 m2)
  • Airfoil: Modified NASA NLF (Natural Laminar Flow)
  • Empty weight: 1,600 lb (726 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 2,600 lb (1,179 kg)
  • Fuel capacity: 90 US gal (340 l; 75 imp gal)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming TIO-540-NXT piston engine, 350 hp (260 kW)
Performance
  • Cruise speed: 325 mph (523 km/h, 282 kn) IAS
  • Stall speed: 90 mph (140 km/h, 78 kn) IAS
  • Rate of climb: 3,000 ft/min (15 m/s)
  • Fuel consumption: 0.369 lb/mi (0.104 kg/km)
  • Fuel consumption: 20 US gal (76 L)/h in cruise, 35 US gal (130 L)/h at Full Power
  • Take Off: 2,500 ft (760 m) @ sea level
  • Landing: 3,500 ft (1,100 m) @ sea level
To fly airplane with 6.5 m2 area at MTOM 1 179 kg (= over 180 kg/m2 wing load) is not really my cup of coffee. OK, it will be a nice toy to set some records, but I don´t really see it in "fundamental role in the future of low-carbon flight".

John's NXT did 400+ mph at Reno. When asked, he said he has pulling 565 hp from his Lyc. An electric NXT with the power stated should be even faster.

Does anyone know what happened to Terry and his plane? Great job.

John.Roo

Well, it's a way to validate a high power battery pack+motors while doing nice PR. The nemesis is wicked cool, I'm not "dreaming" about the electric cessna caravan ;) I would love to do 1/2h flight in the nemesis at full power, somebody talked about a "tesla ludicrous for airplane", but in the caravan? meh. Whats great with the caravan is where you are going with it!
You are right - as interesting PR is OK.
And "fun factor" of ACCEL is definitelly higher than "fun factor" of electric Cessna Caravan :cool:

Just... it is again "conversion" of airframe from ICE racer airplane into electric.
And in this case is a lot of power used to carry battery weight...
Maybe they should give some budget to Burt Rutan and let him to design new unique airframe ;)

John.Roo

Here's another interesting new development. The Swift 3, now with more span, AR, thinner airfoil...
I wonder how much it will cost, and when deliveries will begin.
This is very exciting.
Swift 3? Looks really nice.
Price will be probably higher than "standard" Swift, but performance seems to be much higher.
Thanks for interesting info ;)

John.Roo

Interesting that, even with RR involved, first flight was almost 10 months later that first announced.

It also will be interesting to see the effect of much less cooling drag on top sustained speed. Higher HP ICE powered NXT’s haven’t been leaders at Reno, where top qualifying pylon course speeds, in good conditions, are in the 410 MPH range.

BJC
You are right - even when RR with a lot of brains and money is involved is not that easy to make high power "electric racer" :cool:
Lets wait for real results from flight testing.

John.Roo

technically impressive, but me-thinks "journeying" around the sky in this Rolls Royce Accel would get pretty boring pretty fast...... I don't think I could stand it!
( Now, if the Pond Racer could be fitted with a couple of junked electric Zero motors and some lengthened soaring wing-extensions(from Burt of course) then that would be electrically very-interesting....).
Electric Pond Racer?
That sounds really cool :cool:
1632119985093.png
1632122029235.png
And in compare with Accel / Nemesis pilot of Pond Racer had also nice view ;)

Last edited: