What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mm4440

Can someone list the available13.5 m, 30:1+ SLS? Are there any suitable for homebuilding.? There is the challenge.

John.Roo

Can someone list the available13.5 m, 30:1+ SLS? Are there any suitable for homebuilding.? There is the challenge.
Apis 2
1631513877731.png

Apis Bee
1631513850751.png

Silent
1631513932938.png

GP gliders
1631514109695.png

Mini Lak
1631514149281.png

Winward Performance SparrowHawk
1631514381052.png

There are existing nice small gliders (many of them with FES or self launch possibilities). However they are mostly focused on highest possible performance (=higher price).

I personally tested the Sagitta and seems that this could be a way.

And I would really like to test also Gekon (Axel) from Poland.

"Lower" performance (L/D 1:30-1:35 and Vne under 180 kmph =+-100 kts) means that there is no need for expensive certification and flutter testing. This is important to keep price in reasonable range.
Problem can be a weight. Is not easy to stay in "simpliest" category like Class 120 kg or SSDR without light materials carbon, so design should be simple to save costs of human work.
And keep this type of glider under US FAR 103 is practically impossible for any other type than "motorized Goat".

It is also important to keep option to buy it as a KIT.
"Certified electric propulsion system" (like FES) would affect price a lot so this is a place where "homebuilders" are welcome. I don´t say that they should make whole propulsion system by themselves. However owner should have a possiblity to make a decission if he will use some "plug and play system" or something else.

As mentionned above - "There is the challenge" ;)

henryk

I would really like to test also Gekon (Axel) from Poland.
=some excursion into Bieszczady hils ?

(Bezmiechowa, Weremen...)

John.Roo

=some excursion into Bieszczady hils ?

(Bezmiechowa, Weremen...)

Weremen looks like a nice airfield 👍 Approx. 430 km from my home airfield.
Good idea :)

John.Roo

330 mile range, but how long to re-charge at an interim "fuel-stop"?
Looks super-nice......

330 mile range etc... so far is still only abou rendered drawings and theoretical info.
Bye Airspace have been flying with one 2 seat single motor prototype and I really liked that they have been building experience from real flying.
Unfortunatelly (probably to "catch "new investors) they follow the way of eVTOLS. Nice rendered videos, models, drawings... New single motor trainer (serial version) is not yet finished, but they announce already impressive parameters and even 6 seat twin motor version...
I suggest to wait for real results with real prototype ;)

henryk

John.Roo

Nice video review about LAK 17c FES from Stefan Langer.
"The TESLA of Aviation?"
Maybe not really a "Tesla" between airplanes (FES system is already well known and used in gliders) however higher undercarriage and bigger battery = better self launch possibility 👍

Here is more info about the glider....
Just (as usually) the price - in this case we are definitelly above 100K EUR.
And... noise during self launch TakeOff is also not so comportable.

John.Roo

=iff + GRS ? (Yours opinion ...)

"alle Modell mit Galaxy GRS Gesamtrettungssystem (kein Fallschirm mehr notwendig) "

GP Gliders are really high performance and nice looking.
However I still prefere way of Gekon (Axel). GP looks like "sharp" pilot tool and I like glider more in "funflyer" category.
As Topaz wrote...
"L/D in the 30-32:1 range, easily trailerable, self-launching." And I would add something like "...easy to fly with friendly stall characteristics."
Also... Gekon (Axel) and even Sagitta are much lighter than GP = possibility to think about simple (=cheaper) certification process.

Installed rescue system (GRS, Stratos, BRS...) is advantage, but acceptable would be also parachute on pilot´s back.

henryk

Installed rescue system (GRS, Stratos, BRS...) is advantage, but acceptable would be also parachute on pilot´s back.
h>30 m versus h>300 m...?

(weight of GRS for GEKON only twice of indyvidual paraschute.)

or SECOND CHANTZE (high pressure rocket, NO pirotechnic !) =

=allmost "soft landings" !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

PiperCruisin

I've been looking forward to seeing the Aeros AC-21 come out. I don't know if they were working on an electric version or not, but seems like a good, light platform for one. The original seemed a bit light on load rating and I think this one corrects that.
1631802021729.png