What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John.Roo

miniLAK electric looks really nice.....presumably can be aero-towed up, or winched up, or even tow-launched by a Tesla driving down the runway (now that would be cool)!
You are right - aero-towing, winch start and even car-towing are allowed for certified glider.
As far I know actual rules for ultralight gliders are allowing aero-towing, self launch and car-towing (I am not sure if winch start is allowed).
Idea to make car-tow using Tesla + small electric FES glider is good 👍 I like it ;)

EzyBuildWing

John.Roo

Yes....great vids.....just looked at Gliding Federation of Australia Manual for Winch-launching (see Link below).
Seems airfield length is 1600 meters minimum for automobile-towing(page 51), and height you can achieve is one-third to one-half the airfield's length.

Thanks!
Interesting manual 👍
1 600 m airfield length is not common in CR.
Length of RWY in aeroclub is +-800 m.
But I know few places where could be posible to do that... :cool:
I only need to find TESLA owner brave enough.

John.Roo

Just thinking about car towing....
Glider with FES is typically limited by prop diameter.
As max. power is used to start to move, car towing of electric glider could be simple and also could be done on shorter RWY.
Is not necessary to reach 300 m / 1 000 ft.
Woudl be enough to get off the ground and gain few meters, release and use FES to climb to requested altitude.
In this case you don´t "burn" energy in most un-efficient part of take-off - starting to move from zero speed when prop has low eficiency (especially prop with small diameter).
No need of long RWY.
No need of long tow cable.
Car us used just for short time.

Of course still would be necessary to keep on mind safety.
In case of problem car should turn to side to let glider space big enough to land.
However doesn´t seems to be dangerous way how to get to the air.

henryk

In this case you don´t "burn" energy in most un-efficient part of take-off - starting to move from zero speed when prop has low eficiency (especially prop with small diameter).
BTW=thanks vortex flow,
V take off is in inverted proportion to the acceleration... (m/F thrust)

a= F thrust/m

-or electric drive main wheel (good eficiency,allmost 100 % !)

-or rubber catapult,"charged " via car...=

Attachments

Last edited:

saini flyer

Just thinking about car towing....
Glider with FES is typically limited by prop diameter.
As max. power is used to start to move, car towing of electric glider could be simple and also could be done on shorter RWY.
Is not necessary to reach 300 m / 1 000 ft.
Woudl be enough to get off the ground and gain few meters, release and use FES to climb to requested altitude.
No need of long RWY.
No need of long tow cable.
Car us used just for short time.

Of course still would be necessary to keep on mind safety.
In case of problem car should turn to side to let glider space big enough to land.
However doesn´t seems to be dangerous way how to get to the air.
How about adding an electric inwheel motor to the landing gear?. Yes, it adds weight (10-15lbs max) but allows to leverage the battery of the FES system or any other electric powerplant for self launch!

John.Roo

I am not sure if during work on Project GloW has been finished some prototype (I found only 3D renders), but for sure has been used electric motor in main undercarriage wheel in project E-Fan from Airbus.

I agree that idea is good.
To stay in German Class 120 = empty weight max. 120 kg (265 lb) is every kg (pound) important, however for experimental, or "normal" UL could be this improvement possible 👍

John.Roo

=yes, but no "inwheel motor " (weighty!)...
Pitty that in specification is not mentionned the weight....
Could be 3,5 kW of power enough?

John.Roo

Interesting model-engine here.....might be good as a "range-extender" for cars, electric-gliders etc?

My friend bought RC model engine for his project of TST-3 Alpin - wooden self launch ultralight glider.
(on photo same type for better impression)
1630557890560.png
And unfortunatelly he is not flying...
Main problem is that model motors are perfect for models, but when you need power for longer time you start to face many technical failures. Model motors are light and powerfull, but designed for very short "running time".
How long take typical flight time when you fly with motor/engine powered RC model?
5-10 minutes?
I don´t want to say that this is generally problem of all RC model engines, but "mission" of that type of engines is different in compare with engie for manned ultralight airplanes.

henryk

Main problem is that model motors
+=very light shaft=big vibration...

=electric 10 kW motor (PREDATOR30) < 1.5 kg +0.5 kg belt reductor !

-anoth to selflounching AXEL glider=

Attachments