What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John.Roo

=my joyke...

but seriously=the dr Wolf methode (Oscillating Wing Propulsion ) can be good for
"flying bicycle" !

or "AIRcar"=

No problem - I know you are fan of human powered systems and oscilating wings ;)
Your "Air Car" reminded me how we did firsts tests of "regeneration". We installed prop on top of roof of my Peugeot and we drove at different speeds to see what power we get from 1,3 m adjustable prop. Honestly - I am very glad that we didn´t met police :)

henryk

1,3 m adjustable prop.
-we was ride 300 km on publik road in that "configuration",
to the Gorki Fly-In 2019 !

Yves Rousseau=

BTW=propeller/flapper comparation=

"Il m’aura fallu exécuter 212 vols expérimentaux, treize années de travail, pour arriver à me tenir en vol,avec une aile peu performante et à la force musculaire.

Sachez que Mac CREADY obtenait 4,5 Kgs de poussée avec comme pilote un shampion cycliste.
Il tenait en vol grâce à une machine extrèmement légère et de 34 m d’envergure.

Mon » PULCYNAMIC 2 » pesait 75 Kgs, son envergure de 11 m, sa finesse était de 10.

Ma poussée dynamique par les battements approchait des 11,5 Kgs. Voyez la différence des 4,5Kgs de Mac CREADY."

Last edited:

John.Roo

-we was ride 300 km on publik road in that "configuration",
to the Gorki Fly-In 2019 !

Yves Rousseau=

BTW=propeller/flapper comparation=

"Il m’aura fallu exécuter 212 vols expérimentaux, treize années de travail, pour arriver à me tenir en vol,avec une aile peu performante et à la force musculaire.

Sachez que Mac CREADY obtenait 4,5 Kgs de poussée avec comme pilote un shampion cycliste.
Il tenait en vol grâce à une machine extrèmement légère et de 34 m d’envergure.

Mon » PULCYNAMIC 2 » pesait 75 Kgs, son envergure de 11 m, sa finesse était de 10.

Ma poussée dynamique par les battements approchait des 11,5 Kgs. Voyez la différence des 4,5Kgs de Mac CREADY."
300 km? Wow.... what battery capacity did you used?

John.Roo

=IC engine ZENOACH G25 (20 HP)=80 kG thrust +10 l tank...

=electric DifferentialCR on the LEM200 motor (for Hiller Platform like)
Sorry fo rmisnderstanding - I was wondering what battery did you used to be able to drive 300 km with "electric Air Car". 300 km distance is very good result even for "normal" electric car.

henryk

Sorry fo rmisnderstanding - I was wondering what battery did you used to be able to drive 300 km with "electric Air Car". 300 km distance is very good result even for "normal" electric car.
BTW=Bogdan is again "coming back" into IC engine=to big problem/time with
"cheap" e-drive !

Attachments

henryk

Last edited:

John.Roo

Hello dear Henryk!
True is that is not easy to make "cheap" and safe electric propulsion system.
I personally still don´t see a problem with motors (power and weight are OK) or with controllers (they are already good products on the market). Main problem is price of batteries....
Prices of cells are +-OK, however is not really easy to make battery pack. And if you order battery pack you pay min. 1 000 EUR / 1 kWh (probably more). Realistic minimum capacity for one seat airplane (like self launch glider) is 5 kWh. It means you pay min. 5 000 EUR only for battery and you stil need motor, controller and charger.
However I am still optimistic and I beleive that this problem can be solved.
When I see popularity of electric bicycles is obvious that people is able to accept electric propulsion if:
- price of OK
- it system is simple for use
- system is safe
So even is is not easy to make "affordable" electric system I beleive it is possible.
Good start is use of existing systems (modified ZERO motorcycle propulsion) and may woudl be helpfull to use some other "standard" parts from automotive / motorcycle industry.
Best regards!
Martin

blane.c

HBA Supporter
The whole electric thing is so wrapped up in geopolitical nonsense it often overrides one's true perspective.

If one just wanted cheap self launcher just put a IC engine on the blasted contraption and go. Obviously reduced carbon footprint is the primary motivation for most wanting electric propulsion even if some (most?) of that reduction in carbon footprint is put off into the future regarding reduced carbon footprint in infrastructure and manufacture not currently existing.

So for those who believe it is a duty or obligation to reduce our carbon footprint it kinda' boils down to how much is a breath of clean air for your grandchild worth? Or blue sky instead of maybe some other color? And work backwards from there.

There isn't anything you can say to the others their heads are lodged to far up their *.

PiperCruisin

Hello dear Henryk!
True is that is not easy to make "cheap" and safe electric propulsion system.
I personally still don´t see a problem with motors (power and weight are OK) or with controllers (they are already good products on the market). Main problem is price of batteries....
Prices of cells are +-OK, however is not really easy to make battery pack. And if you order battery pack you pay min. 1 000 EUR / 1 kWh (probably more). Realistic minimum capacity for one seat airplane (like self launch glider) is 5 kWh. It means you pay min. 5 000 EUR only for battery and you stil need motor, controller and charger.
Just for perspective, the Rotax 912 Si is somewhere north of $20k, weighs 130+lbs. dry, uses about 30 lbs of fuel per hour, and the configuration of the propulsion is limited to the immediate vicinity of the engine (no distributed propulsion). Electrical is not cheap or easy, but the current standards have a not insignificant cost, weight, and limitations.