What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

EzyBuildWing

Kasperwing vid..... looks awesome...check it out!
And with an electricKasper, there'd be no mid-flight "ICE start-up Anxiety" after you've done with soaring/gliding,

John.Roo

Electric Aerolite 103 ..... interesting numbers...... 1 hour range, or 30 minutes if pattern-flying. Totally-silent! Check out the Aerolite vid below:
I notice the Kapsperwing 180-BX can "perform vertical-approaches to landing whilst remaining stable in all 3-axes" +7.0 :1 and -4.0 :1 ultimate.
Specs of 180-BX show empty weight is 160 lbs ( including a 35 lb Zenoah G25B 20 HP Single ICE), and an MTOW of 400 lbs......
So it looks like the combined weight of the Kasperwing pilot and the ePropulsion-system can total about 240 lbs.
I wonder if there are any silent eKasperwings flying?
If not, it sounds like a fun-project!

Thanks!
That is interesting :)
I found detailed info about the propulsion system

"Available with 2, 3 or 4 lithium-ion rechargeable battery packs, the complete electric propulsion system provides an average of 30, 45 or 60 minutes of flight time respectively."

And here are prices....
Electric Propulsion System with 2 Batteries and 2 Chargers
$9,750
Electric Propulsion System with 3 Batteries and 3 Chargers
$11,850
Electric Propulsion System with 4 Batteries and 4 Chargers
$13,950

It means 2 100 USD for 2,6 kWh battery pack incl. charger = good price.

I would definitelly like to make a test flight :)

henryk

Attachments

Last edited:

ypsilon

Mitchell Wing might be ideal for electric? Empty 185 lbs including Zenoah G25B-1 22 HP ICE(35 lbs).
MTOW 525 lbs. 16:1 25 mph stall. Cruise 45 mph. 136 square feet.
That's surely possible, but why not just buy an electric SWIFT-light then?

henryk

PS=it is possible to fly bird-like (ornithopter)=russian constructor Vladimir Toporov
was close to real fly with flapping wings...

=12 m span, bamboo+foil, ONLY 0.5 HP (middle class "athlet") =the age of self take off !

-IFF + E-servo (circa 0.5 kW)...?

patrickrio

I wish these crazy engineers that henryk knows lived near me instead of him. I wanna see this crazy **** up close!!!!

That wing flapping thing makes me laugh just watching the video. every time.

John.Roo

Flaping wing... construction from bamboo + foil...
I would like to see some real strength testing and achieved safety factor.
Zkouska kridla 2.jpg
And I do not mention flutter testing, undercarriage drop testing, performance with 0.5 hp engine etc. etc.

On the "human ornithopter" video I see only faster taxiing.
Is necessary to use a lot of imagination to say "Close to real flight with flapping wings".

Similar dream has Jinker team:

This is just a RC model, but at least really flying.

However I am not really interested in this type flying. Sorry.

John.Roo

2.4. Мускульные махокрылы

for comporation=

Dear Henryk I understand that dream to fly using only human power is interesting challenge for many inventors. But human body is simply not designed for that purpose. 0,5 hp is a lot of energy for average human. Not every pilot is an athlete. We are typically lazy and with a few extra pounds :cool:
On the video is the ornithopter towed by car - that means a lot of external energy added.
And second problem - please watch the cockpit flight trajectory. Up and down and up and down... like a sinusoid. Can you imagine to fly like this for a few minutes and keep lunch (breakfast, dinner...) in stomach?

John.Roo

Look here....
I can imagine to add "pedelec" with power of 500 -1 000 W to help the pilot.
However it is still not suitable for longer thermal flights in altitude - and that is what we are looking for during soaring. You can see very fragile extremely light structure difficult to control in other than totally calm air.
For 99,9% of normal humans would be necessary to remove physical activity in order to let pilot fully concentrate on controls. It would be interesting to listen to the pilot's radio communication after 20-30 minutes of flight when he is tired of pedaling :D

patrickrio

The propeller location spinning around the tail boom with outer tube drive shaft/reduction gearing and large diameter variable pitch propeller spinning at lower rpm is exactly what I was thinking for an electric powered airplane.

Cool to see it in operation.

henryk

The propeller location spinning around the tail boom with outer tube drive shaft/reduction gearing and large diameter variable pitch propeller spinning at lower rpm is exactly what I was thinking for an electric powered
=+ some distance after traling age (lower flow distortiones!)...

But Adalbert Schmid thruster seems more energyefficient .

BTW=today "flexible" hang glider=

Last edited:

John.Roo

Gentlemans please lets finally leave ornithopters here. I believe they have somewhere their own thread.
These machines are interesting attempt how to fly, but I would like to keep discussion here about gliders, TMG, long wings etc. Thanks 👍