What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

EzyBuildWing

$3000 buys you a Private Pilot's Glider Certificate( includes 10 hours in a Rotax Pipistrel " ICE Alpha Glider" with feathering prop).
Presumably could also get Glider Certificate if proficient after 5 hrs in ICE Alpha Glider plus 5 hrs in Alpha Electro?
That would be really cool!
Great cheap way for Young Eagles to start flying......inexpensive "foot-in-the-door", so to speak.
Excellent vid shows how to sell it.

John.Roo

$3000 buys you a Private Pilot's Glider Certificate( includes 10 hours in a Rotax Pipistrel " ICE Alpha Glider" with feathering prop).
Presumably could also get Glider Certificate if proficient after 5 hrs in ICE Alpha Glider plus 5 hrs in Alpha Electro?
That would be really cool!
Great cheap way for Young Eagles to start flying......inexpensive "foot-in-the-door", so to speak.
Excellent vid shows how to sell it.
This is very good idea we are working on for a long time.
But in EU is situation with glider pilot training requirements a bit different than in US. So actually we try to covnince CAA to allow to add few hours on UL to glider pilot training. For example first reconnaissance flights and navigation flight (we have been used old L-13 Vivat motorglider for this purpose).
Plane like Pipistrel Sinus or U-15 Phoenix - light LSA "TMG like" airplanes with feathering prop and airbrakes - could do perfect job.

Of course you still need to learn aerotowing and spins etc. so hours on L-13 Blanika or other glider trainier are necessary. But I fully agree that this way could make glider training efficiend and fast :)

And another plus.
Phoenix is also tow plane so pilots with enough hours and experience can easily "skip" to TMG and tow pilot license. Tow pilot with glider pilot license (so he know feelings on the other side of tow cable + position of thermals) is typically very good tow pilot :cool:

opcod

Ohhh a flying a Vivat can be such a great one certainly. It was my first choice when i did look to buy a plane. Also, on the Phoenix, was it possible at build to add layer of carbon to reinforce the tail? As to land with the tail touching first, just like pure glider ?

John.Roo

Vivat is nice to fly - like Blanik. But I never liked the one wheel landing gear. There was done many modification... My favorite would be version with "normal" landing gear and Rotax 912 :) Something like this....
Vivat D-KATA.jpg
Phoenix fuselage is made only from carbon (and carbon/kevlar cockpit to protect pilots). Would be possible to add some layers, but is not necessary. Landing when you touch tail wheel first is not damaging fuselage. It happends to me time to time.
However don´t forget that typical glider lands in more "flat" position. Taildragged plane with tractor propulsion system has nose much higher than typical glider.

John.Roo

Step by step it starts.....

Electric car Ioniq 5 offered interesting feature - could be used as power source. Max. power has been limited to 3,6 kW if I remember well. That is good for electric trike or really light single seater.

Electric Ford F-150 Lighting price starts from 40K USD. And can be used as 9,6 kW power source. That starts to be really interesting...
With internal 115 kWh battery you can drive reasonable distance and re-charge plane like Velis, Alpha Electro or Phoenix without danger to drain up your car battery to zero.

One more small improvement would be welcome - to have possibility to use 9,6 kW plug during driving. Together with electric airplane with fast assembly possibility you could recharge your airplane battery during trip to airfield :)

henryk

henryk

dynamic soaring and try it
-some time ago we startet to examinate "weavy" fly of glider=

=nonsimmetrical sinus like vertical trajectory ...

first two fly in Bialystok airfield (Wold record of ground tow=1870 m !) was promissing,
but.....no continuation.

John.Roo

Just for info....
Actually s for sale in CR this modified TMG Vivat XL-113 (experimental).
Rotax 912 ULS (100 hp / actually 400 hours).
Woodcomp Varia 1 700 mm, in flight adjustable.
Interesting bird :)
1622708820725.png
1622709069709.png

EzyBuildWing

John.Roo

I agree - flying with electric trike really looks smooth and due to a large prop is also silent :)

If you want "plug and play" electric system you can use for example Geiger Engineering (system used on EGO Trike).

Or you can also contact MGM Compro (system we use on electric Phoenix).

EzyBuildWing

Electric Aerolite 103 ..... interesting numbers...... 1 hour range, or 30 minutes if pattern-flying. Totally-silent! Check out the Aerolite vid below:
I notice the Kapsperwing 180-BX can "perform vertical-approaches to landing whilst remaining stable in all 3-axes" +7.0 :1 and -4.0 :1 ultimate.
Specs of 180-BX show empty weight is 160 lbs ( including a 35 lb Zenoah G25B 20 HP Single ICE), and an MTOW of 400 lbs......
So it looks like the combined weight of the Kasperwing pilot and the ePropulsion-system can total about 240 lbs.
I wonder if there are any silent eKasperwings flying?
If not, it sounds like a fun-project!