What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

henryk

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Report was from 2009 so a newer report would be helpful, but there is strong evidence that for range fuel cell is likely the way to go.

John.Roo

Report was from 2009 so a newer report would be helpful, but there is strong evidence that for range fuel cell is likely the way to go.
Well... I have only one problem with hydrogen.
I can accept high pressure tanks somewhere in wings or fuselage, but problem is distribution of hydrogen on airfields. On big airports I can imagine some H2 stations, but it will spread only very slowly as H2 storage is difficult and expensive.
So my favorite are actually only elecric airplanes with range 100 miles (or more) but with min. 10 kW charger on board. With better batteries we will go to 200 miles and more relativelly soon. But actually only charger can help to achieve "freedom" to travel and not stay only "arround chimney".
Actually i am flyng with small electric airplane abel to stay in air with less than 5 kW of power.
So theoreticalyl H2 range extender could be "relatively affordable" solution....
(if we can call 22K USD "affordable solution") :)
However again - where do I get pure hydrogen to "refuel"?

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Supposedly ... it is to become mainstream by government subsidy. The thing about it is you could put a hydrogen filling station on a trailer or skid and either have it filled by a vendor who comes to the field or take it to a vendor reasonably close. Or put up a charging/filling station on the other side of the fence from the airport with access from the field side as well.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Bidens new plan "to overhaul and upgrade the nation’s infrastructure" could help the e-soaring community.

Per Biden Proposal to Add EV Charging Stations Faces Bumpy Road "The White House is calling for 500,000 new EV charging stations—five times the size of the national network now—as part of a $174 billion plan to boost the EV industry in Mr. Biden’s broad $2.3 trillion infrastructure proposal. "

I have contacted AZ senator Mark Kelly 202 224 2235 to request that 10% of the charging stations be placed on airports so that they can serve a dual purpose of aircraft or automotive use. This could provide 50,000 airports in the US with the ability to recharge electric aircraft. I believe California now has three airports that can recharge electric aircraft. I do not think AirVenture has any charging facilities for the fly in pilots or drones.

This provision should be written into the bill or it will never happen. Internet sources show charging stations for cars at marinas. Marinas already have electrical power to the boat slips. I do not know of a single airport that has electrical power to the tie downs.

Last edited:

John.Roo

Interesting idea...
HPA 2022.jpg
Only is a pitty that organizators are requesting only human power.
Why?
Well...
If you look to actual stage of technology it would be more inovative and challenging to allow designers to use some "help". Look for example to last generations of electric bicycles. Would be that bad to allow some "electric help" to do not need to hire professional cyclists? ;)

Last edited:

John.Roo

=+ H2, He ...
I would not like to fly this plane in windy day :)

My idea was that with a bit of extra power (acually used on many e-bikes) you could reach higher safety and move this interesting category of airplanes to something new.

Wiki....
"Elite cyclists specializing in short distances can deliver up to about 2,000 watts or 25 watts per kilogram of their weight in the short term, and elite road cyclists can increase their output in the short term to 1,700 watts at the end of a five-hour race on the finish line."

Other source...
"The human body produces about 100 watts of power. When you get a little busy, you can get up to 400 watts. The best athletes can then develop up to 2,000 watts in the short term."

So imagine just 200-400 Watts of help ;)